The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with book title please

simond9x

Having read dozens of first person accounts of the war, I'm now struggling to remember a particular book that I'd like to read again. It was well-written and I recall descriptions of the author spending nights alone exploring no-man's land in the area between Wulverghem and Messines. Can anyone suggest which book it might have been please?

Many thanks.

I put a few key words from your sentence above into Google Books and came up with this. Does it look right?

"As I walked back to the Douve farm at night, nearly always alone, I used to keep exploring the wide tract of land that lay behind our trenches. "I'll have a look at that old cottage up there on the right tonight", I used to say to myself, and later, when the time came for me to walk back from the trenches, I would go off at a new angle across the plain, and make for my objective. Once inside, and feeling out of view of the enemy, I would go round the deserted rooms and lofts by the light of a few matches, and if the house looked as if it would prove of interest, I would return the next night with a candle-end, and make an examination of the whole thing."

If so it is Bruce Bairnsfather's Bullets and billets, and you're right - very well written!

sJ

Fingers crossed - let me know!

• 1 month later...

Good! Glad I could help.

sJ

Good! Glad I could help.

sJ

SJ,

Excellent detective work ! and a very nice example of one GWF member taking the time to help another GWF member.

Regards,

LF

It's easy and quick once you know what works :blush: