The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British POW`s in Gevelsberg / Germany

the german

Hi,

I have a book regarding the war history 1914-18 of the German city of Gevelsberg (between Wuppertal and Hagen). It is a town in the former Westfalen, right in the middle of what we call the "Ruhrgebiet" today. There is a list of all the fallen Gevelsberger soldiers but also a small list of 5 british POW`s. They were buried on the local cemetery in Gevelsberg.

Unfortunately, there is no hint on a POW-camp in the book. So I can not say, where they were exactly located durig the war.

Here are the names, as they are originally written in the book (day,month,year):

1. Albion Castwood, died 18.8.1918

2. William Brown, died 15.8.1918

3. Lionel Deatfield, died 16.8.1918

4. Richard Laity, died 9.11.1918

5. Bust Skielmoor, died 27.10.1918

Is it of interest for "Behind The Wire"?

Hinrich

Hi Hinrich,

I have Mrs Pope-Hennessy's book "Map of the main prision camps in Germany and Austria but cannot find a reference to a POW camp by the name of Gevelsberg.

What towns are near there?

Robbie

PS.

how close to Dusseldorf is Gevelsberg? Perhaps these Brits died while being transported to a POW camp.

Hi Hinrich

I have had a very quick look on the CWGC site and have found one of the men you listed. His details are as follows:

Name: Laity

Initials: Richard Henry

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/11/1918

Service No: 41710

Additional information: Son of John Henry and Beatrice Laity; husband of Nellie Laity, of Trescowe, Marazion, Cornwall

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VE 2

Cemetery: COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY

The following is also from the CWGC site:

"In 1922 it was decided that the graves of Commonwealth servicemen who had died all over Germany should be brought together into four permanent cemeteries. Cologne Southern was one of those chosen and the following year, graves were brought in from 183 burial grounds in Hanover, Hesse, the Rhine and Westphalia."

I guess Richard Laity was one of those men moved from Gevelsburg.

I hope this is of interest.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

This is really interesting. Any ideas as to where these guys died and how? Were they in a POW camp, or given the date of death 9/11/1918, do you think their deaths may be linked to the Armistice Day?

Robbie

Albion Castwood is probably Albion Eastwood 10th Bn. Rifle Brigade. The CWGC has him listed as died 18/10/18.

Lionel Deatfield is probably Lionel Deadfield 8th Bn. East Surrey Reg. The CWGC has him listed as died 15/10/18

Bust Skielmoor, died 27.10.1918 is almost certainly 241656 Pte B. Skidmore, 1/8th Worcester Regt. who died on 27.10.1918 and is buried in Cologne Southern Cemetery.

Hello,

thanks to you all.

This is very interesting for me and it is always amazing, what you are able to find out about your fallen soldiers. I wish we would have this opportunity in Germany for the german soldiers, too.

I think it is possible that their death was caused by the influenza epidemic.

Hinrich

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit off the topic, but I have been browsing through old newspapers, and I have found a reference to the location of a P.O.W. camp in Germany that I bet you did not know about!

Major Peter Anderson of the 3rd Canadian Battalion (late 101st regiment) was taken prisoner at Ypres in April, 1915. A month later the Edmonton Bulletin reported that his wife had received a postcard from him. The postcard was written from "Geschrieben, Germany".

Now I am an expert in neither German lanquage nor geography, but I would have asked a question or two before letting that go to press.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no expert in German but 'schreiben' is the verb 'to write'! Could geschreiben merely be part of the verb to write?

Ray Hoggart

yes it is the past tense of the verb "to write" = "wrote" in this context "written Germany. :P

Robbie