The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ministering Angels: a history of nursing

seaJane

Has anyone read this? (full subtitle "a history of nursing from the Crimea to the Blitz").

There are two GW-related chapters "The First World War: The Home Front" & "The First World War: Service Overseas."

I'd like to have an opinion on it before I make a decision whether to buy, if at all possible.

Thanks!

sJ

It seems to be available for £1 in Kindle format and for 1p + £2.80 postage in hard cover, Jane, so not a very risky investment. In fact, if you care to buy the hardback edition on those terms and finish it in time to bring it to the London Pals get-together on 23 September, I'll happily give you £2.82 for it!

Mick

Don't have a Kindle but thank you for the hardback heads-up, Mick!

If it turns out to have a lot of naval material in it I may decide to pass it to my colleagues in the QARNNS archive, but otherwise I will bear your offer in mind...

sJ

It's a general overview of nursing between the Middle Ages and the present day though originally published in 1979 so not that 'present.' It's competently written in a rather journalistic style and is good for anyone trying to get a general feel for the evolution of nursing over a long period. But very little specific detail and just three very brief references to Naval Nurses.

Sue

Thanks Sue!

I'd like to have an opinion on it before I make a decision whether to buy, if at all possible.

Thanks!

sJ

SJ,

The book had some excellent 4 & 5 star reviews from readers.

Regards,

LF

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
ByS. Burks "Hannah"on 4 May 2015
Stella Bingham’s Ministering Angels relates the fascinating history of nursing across the last 1000 years, and combines this historically rich and factually informative text with a writing style that is wholly engaging. You will not be bored reading this book.

Bingham brings light to the changing attitudes to nurses, and to nursing as a profession, across history. She pays special attention to The Crimean War and World War One as significant moments in the evolution of nursing, and here, I found approaching these well-known historical conflicts from the angle of nursing history, intensely refreshing – the book offers a new perspective from which to enrich any previous knowledge of British Military History. Moreover, in this Bingham illuminates the role of women in warfare, a role that is so often overlooked.

I would recommend Ministering Angels for any reader interested in the history of nursing itself, but also in medical and military history – this book will teach you a great deal in a very readable format.

CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
--------------------------

Women and the Medical Profession.

The struggle waged by women for emancipation from the tyranny of convention has been a constant theme over the centuries.

A survey of the history of the first profession that not only opened its doors to women, but was also largely created by them.

Starting as far back as medieval times, with the role of nuns as nurses in feudal communities, the book contains fascinating stories of courage and single-minded determination, epitomised in very different ways by such figures as Florence Nightingale and Eidth Cavell.

---------------------------

women's studies, feminist, work, nursing, medical, feminism,

ByPaige Martinon 8 May 2015
This exploration of the profession of nursing through times of peace and war is a fitting tribute to the wonderful, tireless and fearless people it discusses. It is a clear and comprehensive work that is inclusive of all elements of the history that you would expect to be necessary in such a piece; yet manages not to loose the compassion and esteem in which it views these women. Definitely worth reading if you are interested in medical history or the history of women.
Bygrimlyfiendish "Book Buyer"on 26 May 2015
Nursing as a profession has always existed, but the period most closely identified by Stella Bingham - Crimea to WW2 - is the period which saw the most change, development and organization, and saw it lose its sometimes disreputable status and turn into one of the most respected professions in the UK and the world. Stella Bingham does an incredible job of documenting the period and its visionary agents of change, with one towering over all, of course - Florence Nightingale, whose story here, by necessity in capsule form, is compelling. An inspiring and necessary book.