The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Yorks & Lancs

Guest allsopp

Hi

Can anyone help me in my research.

Both my grandfathers served in the Y&LR, but I'm not sure which of the batallions.

They are Pte Tom L Wilkinson Reg number 58150

and Pte Frank W Allsopp he served in Northumberland Fusilers reg number 69073, then in the Y&LR 57777.

I don't know how he ended up in a Northumberland reg when he lived in Sheffield all his life.

How do I find out where they enlisted & served, other than visiting national archives & hoping the papers weren't destroyed by the fire.

I have visited the regimental museum in Rotherham but they don't have any archives.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately the regimental numbers do not allow an identification of a regiment/battalion so far as Im aware. The locality of a regiment did not mean it was exclusively locals especially when other regiments/battalions were being brought up to strength. It is likely that this was the case with F Allsop the Y&L being a Pals battalion.

The medal rolls often give a battalion as a page heading so thats probably your best bet.

You can find and download a Medal index card HERE

The medal index card will tell you several things but not always the battalion. As I said the roll itself often does.

Roop