The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MC group on ebay

museumtom

They're miniatures; can tell most obviously by the size of the weave in the ribbon related to size of the medal, but slight differences in mould and colouration also allude to this: the texture of the surface upon which they were photographed also shows some discrepancy if they are full size medals.

Perhaps the seller isn't aware of the difference between original and dress medals if he makes no clear reference to it. I can understand a foreign seller not remarking that they are unnamed, for most nations don't follow this practice, but the US and most other nations also use dress miniatures.

Richard

The seller does actual state the group is only 3 inches wide and 2 inches long, so they are miniatures.

Little dubious, regarding his comments on the name being worn off the back - indeed the whole description is on the basis that they are 'genuine', except the measurements.

Don't think I'd be happy spending £30 on them, as someone has.

Also note the subtle 'ask before bidding otherwise pay up' warning !

Ah well, one born every minute...

Jim

They went for $207..........are people crazy or am I missing something?

Tom.

They went for $207..........are people crazy or am I missing something?

Tom.

Looks to me like a typical bidding frenzy by at least two people who didn't read the description properly. Hard to say whether the seller is dishonest or just ignorant, as despite the size description, the word "minitaure" is very telling in its absence.

That said, the winning bidder seems to be an avid medal buyer, who one would expect to have picked up on the bullshit "time and wear" comment about the lack of inscription on the Star. The same applies to, "known to have been worn by a ranking officer" - Well, duh! it's an MC group!!!!

Oh to be a fly on the wall when the package arrives...

"This seems very light for four medals...."