The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cpl Bonham 7th Beds.

Raster Scanning

OK, this is a mystery I have tried to solve for many years with little luck.

The casualty list in the 7th Beds War Diary for 1 July 1916 includes the following man as being wounded.

16599 Cpl A Bonham ‘A’ Coy.

Research reveals the following.

List of Buck’s men who served in WW1 (Buckingham Record Office)

Bonham Alfred- 7th Beds-Linslade.

1901 Census.

Alfred Bonham, son of Fanny Bonham a widow of Old Road, Linslade, in 1901 he was seven years old living with his mother, three brothers (Arthur, Freddy and Albert) and three sisters ( Lottie Lizzie and Edith).

Leighton Buzzard Observer, 11-7-16, Pg 5.

“Corporal Alfred Bonham, Beds Regiment, son of Mrs. Bonham, Old Road Linslade has been removed to a Birmingham Hospital with a severe head wound. Part of an ear has been blown away, and he has a gunshot wound in the neck and head. Bonham who enlisted when the war had been in progress only a few weeks, had been in France about a year. He has two serving brothers one with the RFA in France and another still in training at Wimbledon with the King’s Royal Rifles. He is very ill and Mrs. Bonham was sent for yesterday (Monday).”

What I find puzzling is.

He is not on the MRI.

His wounds indicate he was not expected to survive, but he is not listed in SDGW or by the CWGC.

Casualty lists for 7th Beds on July 1st were published in the Bedfordshire Times newspaper, his name is missing.

Even the new book on the 7th Beds Rgt (The Shiny Seventh) that publishes the War Diary list of casualties has accidentally missed him out.

The only suggestion I have is that in the MRI there is an L/Cpl Bonhan 16952, Bedfordshire Regiment. The battalion is not given but the date of entry is given as 26-7-15, this makes it highly likely he was with the 7th Battalion. He later served as a Sjt with the York’s and Lanc’s Regiment. Could Bonham have survived his wounds and been sent back to serve in another regiment? Was his name on the MRI wrong? Was his number on the casualty list wrong (or the MRI for that matter)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi John

Cant think where at the mo, but Ive come across the Bonham name on my travels mate. Not home for another day, but will look by the weekend. May just be the family are in a Heath & Reach church yard or similar, but Ive def' seen him; hope I can help narrow it down somehow ...

Linslade has been moved between the Beds and Bucks borders for a while hasnt it? Cant see how it would affect his 'entries' but ...?

Will get back to you

Steve

John............Have sat here thinking about this for a while & just realised we are making a fairly large assumption that the newspaper report is accurate.............which might not be the case. It is quite possible the report is a little 'over egged'. Perhaps his wounds were not as life threatening as they seemed.................This makes your LClp Bonhan a plausible candidate................I query the accuracy based on my own research into an Ox & Bucks chap who was reported to have been lying in Epsom hospital critically ill after suffering gun shot wounds to the chest in the summer of 1916. The report questioned his survival but he still recovered enough to return to his unit about a year later & be killed in August 1917......................

Thanks Steve. Anything you find would be appreciated.

Will'

I, like you have suspected this for a while, but have never been able to confirm it. Bonham's papers would prove it one way or another, but they do not exist I am afraid.

One answer would be to see if Bonham(n) is listed in the Linslade Absent Voters Lists.

Particulary if it confirms he was with the Y&L Regiment.

Steve, do you know if the Buck's AVL's are available anywhere? pretty sure Linslade was not in Beds during WW1.

Thanks again for your thoughts, good to bounce ideas off like minded people.

Cheers.

Just been ringing around & Aylesbury archives hold the AVL for Bucks men, and Linslade was definitely Bucks in WW1 period.

I will get over there for you within a week if you can hold your breath that long mate?! And if theres anything else that i can nose around for you while Im there, speak up & it shall be so :D . A bit easier than driving from where you are ... ;)

Thanks Steve that would be much appreciated!!!

I have just received an email from Nigel Lutt from Bedford Record Office confirming what you say. He has looked at the Buck's AVL's but only noted the Bedfordshire Regiment and Bedfordshire Yeomanry names (I am hoping to find Bonham as Y&L Regiment).

Peter.

No mention of Bonham in either MRI or 'burnt papers' just the aforementioned Bonhan

Thanks again.

John