Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Herbert William Dumaresq, Rifle Brigade - connection to Godstone

bootneck

Can anybody shed any light on Major Herbert William Dumaresq’s possible connection to Godstone, Surrey?

He was commissioned into the Rifle Brigade in 1899 and made Captain in 1905 and during WW1 served on the Staff at Malta and Gibraltar and was entitled to the British War medal. His death was registered in the Kensington Registration District in the March quarter of 1916 and he is buried at St Nicholas, Godstone, so I have assumed that he probably died at home while on leave but I have been unable to find any family connection to the area.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bootneck

His mother, Edith Helen may shed some light. In 1881 she was living with her children and 4 servants in Church House Hawarden Wales. Maybe she had the church connection.?

His obituary published in The Times on Monday January 17 1916 gives his place of death (not Godstone)

post-43672-0-67240000-1440246842_thumb.j

There is stuff on Ancestry but I think the OP already knows.

Thank you Johnboy.

Either her or his father may have had a connection. I see his mother is described as a widow in 1881 and Herbert William is 10 months old. So far I haven't found him in either the 1891 or 1911 Census and he was in South Africa in 1901-2. His parent's marriage may well hold the key.

Bootneck

Harrybrook

Thank you; you beat me to it as The Times online was on my to do list. It shows that he died at the family (mother's) home.

Still no link to Godstone and it is a shame that the burial register after 1884 is still at the church and not at the Surrey History Centre. Also he does not appear on the local war memorial.

Bootneck

A further bit of digging found that Herbert's mother, Edith Helen Gladstone was the daughter of John Gladstone of Bowden Park, Lacock, Wilts, the brother of William Ewart Gladstone. His father, William Alexander Dumaresq, came from a prominant Australian (NSW) family. Just got to find either families connection to Godstone.

Bootneck

He also served as 2nd in Command of the 7th Rifle Brigade before going to the 10th Rifle Brigade as Adjutant.

His health again failing, in the hope that a warmer climate might enable him to continue to serve, he was appointed D.A.A.G. and Q.M.G. at Gibralter in February 1915, which post he held until November 1915 when he returned to England seriously ill. He died in London on 14th January 1916.

The Times dates for New South Wales are inaccurate I believe, RB records have him being the A.D.C. to Lord Chelmsford from 1910 to 1913.

Andy

Andy

Thank you, all the replies have added to my knowledge as I have no plans to visit Kew or Winchester in the near future. I will assume that he was buried at a later date at Godstone.

Bootneck

Herbert William was born 25 April 1879 and died 14 January 1916.

If you can't find a family connection to Godstone it may be that Herbert requested in his will that he be buried in St Nicholas Churchyard.

Probate Calendar 1916

Dumaresq Herbert William of 37 Nevern-square Middlesex a major Rifle Brigade died 14 January 1916 Administration London 25 March to Edith Helen Dumaresq widow.

Probate Calendar 1942

Dumaresq Herbert William of 37 Nevern-square Middlesex died 14 January 1916 Administration Llandudno 30 July to Reginald George Fitzroy Dumaresq of no occupation. Former Grant P.R. March 1916

Find a will | GOV.UK

JP

Without going back to 1881 Census IIRC Reginald was a brother?

Without going back to 1881 Census IIRC Reginald was a brother?

Herbert's siblings:

John Saumarez born 26 October 1873

Reginald George Fitzroy born 2 October 1877

Agnes Susan Elizabeth - married, 1909, Arthur Carleton Nicholson

Marion Edith - married, 1911, George Vincent Wallace Carey

The Royal Lineage of Our Noble and Gentle Families. Together With Their Paternal Ancestry, Volume 4, Page 243 | Document Viewer

Herbert is the only 'Dumaresq' listed below and there is no 'Carey' or 'Nicholson'

Cemetery grave monument details

JP

I can't give you the exact connection with Godstone but I do know that Herbert's grandmother lived in Godstone as a child. She was Christiana Susan Dumaresq nee Macleay. Her parents - Alexander and Elizabeth Macleay lived at Tilbuster, Godstone until they went to New South Wales in 1825. Alexander became Colonial Secretary and took his large family with him. My stepmother was related to the Macleay family and I have done extensive research on them.

Christiana's husband was William John Dumaresq and their son was William Alexander - the father of Herbert William.

Some of the family returned to this country but I don't think they went back to live in Godstone.

This doesn't prove any reason for Herbert being buried at Godstone, but at least it shows that there was a family connection - even if it was in previous generations. Alexander Macleay held a great affection for Tilbuster and at least 2 of his children as well as other family members are buried there. There is a Macleay chapel in the church.

June