The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery

Guest jwhawkins

:huh: I'm trying to determine what Brigade/Division/Battery my grandfather was in. I have obtained his medal card which has the following details:

Name: John E Leary

Regmtl No. 65432

Theatre: France

Medals: Victory, British (Roll 346B. both of which I have) and 15 Star (Roll 22B, I think its a bit indistinct. this medal is missing)

Can anyone point me in the right direction!

John

Guest Fiona Howie

Hello John,

I'm not much use I'm afraid as I am new to this myself but I am having the same problems finding my great grandfather's brigade/battery etc (74493). He too was a gunner.

It has been suggested that I look at the SDGW database which may give me more information but I am waiting to find out what that stands for!!

The people on this site are very helpful though so I'm sure someone else will be of more use.

Good luck!

Fi.

It stands for Soldiers Died in the Great War.

It was a series of books compiled after the war, now available on CD rom.

post a message asking for a SDGW "look up" and you will get lots of replies.

L.

:unsure: Since my grandfather survived the war he wouldn't be on this list. Its unfortunate that when I had the opportunity to question him I didn't, an chance sadly, lost forever.

I don't intend to make the same mistake with my father's WW2 experiences.

Are you sure there is no further information on the MIC?

On my grandfather's, under Corps, it states 4/SB RGA, which cofirms my mothers recollection that he was in the 4th Seige Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery/

Nigel

SDGW lookups are of no use with regular batteries and only have a degree of success with TF RGA batteries where there is a pre-existing TF number , later superceded by a 1917 6 digit number.The degree of accuracy of results is dependant upon having other information to corroborate the findings.

Roop

Good luck with the search John.

In my case being a regular RA member left less records of service.

John and Fiona: Do the Medal Index Cards for either of your Gunners indicate a date for entry into a theater of war? Regards. Dick

:( In answer to the previous couple of questions. I've contacted the RA but they pointed me at the national archives - so no joy there.

The Medal card does not show any details of the theatre of war. It holds the barest of details, as originally listed.

but thanks for all your suggestions keep em coming!

<_< Roop

I've attached the MIC (I think) but I cannot see any date against th 14-15 star apart from RFA/22 plus something indistict under ROLL. Unless, that is, I'm missing something.

Let me know what you think.

John

post-2-1101284210.gif

Edited by jwhawkins

John wrote:

I've attached the MIC (I think) but I cannot see any date against th 14-15 star apart from RFA/22 plus something indistict under ROLL. Unless, that is, I'm missing something.

John: At the bottom left of the MIC it indicates:

Theatre of war first served in: 1

Date of entry therein: 5-10-15

This means that your man entered France or Belgium on 5 October 1915.

Regards. Dick Flory

Guest Fiona Howie

Hello Dick,

I've just had another look at the MIC but there's nothing else on it, not even the date etc that you pointed on the MIC of John's.

Thanks,

Fi