The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HUNDRED DAYS - The End of the Great War.

MikeyH

Have just finished this, written by Nick Lloyd, a Penguin paperback published in 2014. This pacey and well written account of the final three months of the war, deals with the events in a succinct and insightful manner. Lloyd is particularly good in viewing the climatic and very bloody battles from both sides and analysing the decisions made by the opposing commanders. Highly recommended.

Mike.

I second that recommendation. I read this book shortly after it came out and was very favourably impressed.

Cheers Martin B

Hi,

I did enjoy this book, though I have to say that I did find it a bit too succinct at times. Take, for example, the assault on the St Quentin Canal by U.S. II Corps. The main assault on the Hindenburg Line, climax of the late September offensives, over Bellicourt tunnel, was planned to be spearheaded by green U.S. troops. But we aren't really told why. In fact, the A.I.F., which was then to exploit the breakthrough (which breakthrough Monash- astonishingly- believed would not be too difficult a task for the Americans) was in a rather parlous state by this juncture. There had just been outbreaks of mutiny (the AWM website frankly uses the term) and the Australians were very tired by this point, having seen much action over previous weeks. So the availability of the large number of fresh and enthusiastic (though green) doughboys still forming part of Fourth Army, seemed to be a godsend. (Terraine is good on this action and Dale Blair's pretty good "Battle of Bellicourt Tunnel" hardback is currently available at a bargain price from Naval and Military Press).

I think at least a brief mention of this would have been useful, given that it certainly has bearing on how well-placed the allies would or would not have been to pursue the Germans into their homeland (as Pershing argued they should).

Dave

Edited by Daveleic

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the book myself. Thought it was well written and balanced. An enjoyable read.