The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Voices From the Front" Peter Hart

Steven Broomfield

Last evening I was fortunate enough to join several other Forum members (and quite a few non-members) at the launch Party for the latest book by "... internationally acknowledged expert on Gallipoli ..." Peter Hart (that's what it says in the sleeve notes, so it must be true).

Voices From the Front is published by Profile Books at £25.00 and is "... and oral history of the British military involvement in the Great War based on 183 interviews with veterans ..." conducted by the author in the 80's and 90's. 13 chapters organised thematically take us from start to finish, via the Western front, the war at sea, the East, the air war and so on, up to the last chapter, "Aftermath of War".

Obviously, having only bought my copy last evening I can't review it, but - as with all Peter's works - it looks the real deal. No pictures, though.

The only problem is that my copy had a substantial amount taking off its value - the author grabbed it and signed it for me.

he will insist on doing that. He is not the only GWF author whose books are hard to find in a pristine condition. Unsigned copies can sometimes be found in the bookshop at Kew.

He'll be in there signing them on the rack now that you have pointed it out...

For a moment I thought you'd stayed up all night reading Peter's book, I was thinking you'd done rather well to read it so quickly! James (Mr Pighills) has managed to read a couple of chapters, whilst waiting for our train home, but I can't read it 'cos it don't have any pictures in it.

It was a good night though, and nice to meet members whom I've not had the pleasure of meeting before as well as meeting up with new friends.

It was a good evening. What Pete's book really does bring out is the high quality of the interviews with the veterans that Pete and his associates carried out. This has helped make the IWM's oral history archive such as invaluable source. The quality of Pete's writing and his now vast knowledge of the subject definitely make this one for not just the bookshelf, but the bedside table as well.

Charles M

• 1 month later...

It is indeed a fabulous book, this is my review for the Amazon web-site.

The author is a great friend of the GWF and many of us know him from the annual conference in Birmingham as well.

It's well worth investing some of our hard earned beer tokens in a copy ...

Voices From The Front – An Oral History of the Great War

ISBN: 978 – 1781254745

Profile Books Author: Peter Hart

'P M Hart, the Imperial War Museum’s oral historian, undertook 183 interviews with WWI veterans in the 1980’s and early 1990’s and this wonderful volume allows their voices to be heard, some for the first time.

Those who have read the author’s previous writings (his recent work includes a one volume work of the Great War and a great second book on Gallipoli) will be familiar with his style of wrapping narrative around quotations. This time it’s personal as he injects some of his own reminisces of the recordings and it only adds to the aura/feel of the book.

The book moves through 13 chapters reasonably chronologically over the events of the war, the main focus being the Western Front and Gallipoli/the East. We ‘hear’ from veterans involved in the battles at sea and in the air, as well as from those on the ground.

The recollections include those involved in the early days of the air war, the pioneers of the use of tanks and those who were on the receiving end of the first gas attacks on the Western Front and they paint a vivid picture as the full horror of their experiences are told.

We get a feel for how the men got through their experiences, many lamenting the death of friends and comrades and even years later most seemed unsure of how they had survived. Indeed, by the end of the war some admitted they quite happily pretended to be suffering from illness for a few days escape from the trenches at the front.

It was interesting to see familiar names but telling tales of their experiences in a different theatre of war, for example, I’ve stood in the trenches of Gallipoli listening to Ordinary Seaman Joe Murray of the RND’s Hood Battalion but we also get to hear of his experiences on the Western Front.

Of the new Voices to appear, I was delighted to encounter Private William Hare of the 15th West Yorkshire Regiment for no other reason than that was my Great Grandad’s regiment and it injected a personal touch for the reviewer into the narrative.

The mix of experiences in this book keep you enthralled all the way through and the author’s easy to read style make this an attractive read for everyone, whether you are an expert or just beginning to show an interest in the Great War.

Don’t delay, get yourself a copy and submerge yourself in the action, told by those who took part and whose voices deserve never to be forgotten.

Highly recommended.'

Don't just take my word for it, get out there and get yourself a copy !!!!

Thank you all for selling me on this one, I have added it to my 'to read' list. I think it will be in my letter to Santa (my wife) this year ;). Very much looking forward to it!

- Jordan

• 4 months later...

I have just finished Voices from the Front - not that it took long to read, I was just a slow starter! And yes, mine has also been devalued by the author's scribble.

Here is my Amazon review:

Voices from the Front – P M Hart

This is a book that delivers exactly what is says on the ‘tin’ – the authentic voices of veterans from the front. Not just the soldiers on the Western Front; Gallipoli, Mesopotamia, Palestine and Salonika all get an airing as do sailors and airmen.

There is nothing new in the use of veterans’ words to add colour to a Great War account – Hart himself has written many books using this technique – but it is rare to find a book where the veterans are centre stage.

Of course a book cannot just be a string of reminiscences – there has to be a framework, a narrative that sets the veterans’ words into context. Here Hart excels; this book is hugely recommendable as an introduction to the Great War; cut into manageable chunks. Read about each year on the Western Front interspersed with chapters on other fronts, life in the trenches, the war in the air and the war at sea finally topped off by the aftermath of war as experienced by the men who fought it.

This is not a dry history, it lacks the detail beloved of military historians – Hart recounts the key points, the major battles, the advent of new weapons and new tactics while the men explain what they meant to the men involved. As Oral Historian at the Imperial War Museum Hart interviewed most of the men quoted in the book; his attachment to these men, all now dead, has resulted in a truly memorable read.

If you haven’t read another book on the Great War read this one, it is a great place to start. If, like me, you have read dozens then you should still read this one – you will not regret it!

waiting for delivery, looking forward to reading it.

It seems, from previous comments, that I am also unlucky enough to have Peter Hart scribble in two books I have purchased from him. November 2014 he gave a talk to my local WFA Branch and I purchased Fire and Movement and a year later November 2015 he reappeared entertained the branch with another informative and at times often humorous talk then helped himself to a portion of the buffet and I purchased Voices from the Front.

Both books are an informative and enjoyable read.

I see from the branch annual outline that Peter is due to return again this November, god knows what he will scribble on this year but I am sure I will enjoy reading it.

Regards

Peter

I now have signed copies of both "Voices" and "Gallipoli", following Peter's visit to the WFA Gwent Branch last week.

All I have to do now is to find the time to read them both!

Don't tell me how it ends, as I am reading now :w00t:

The Butler. It always is.

OK can we halt the funnies now. Comments on the book only please.

Keith Roberts

In the waiting pile. Enjoyed his other books (well, the 5 or 6 I've got.)

Bernard

So legally! can I say that I have been reading prior to bye byes time each night and after 6 pages, I nod off :w00t:

Actually I am really enjoying the book and my compliments to Mr Hart. Excellent weave between the various actions and the men's comments.