The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Hull Pal and a mystery - can you help?

Yorkshire Andy

Hello everyone,

If anyone can help me with the following I would be really, really thankful. I'm what you might call a neophyte when it comes to this sort of thing.

About 4 or 5 years ago I came into possession of what I think is a British soldier's white metal identity bracelet. It is shaped like a small lemon and still has part of the bracelet attached, athough the bracelets' clasps have long gone. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post a picture of it so I hope this information in written format will suffice.

On 1 side is written the following -

G. Lear.

10th East Yorks

WES.

This info is shown exactly as it is on the bracelet including punctuation except that the th bit of 10th is half the size of the other letters and underlined.

On the reverse and in a recessed part of the bracelet is a headshot photograph (this has been cut down from another picture to fit into the recess) of a man in Great War era British uniform with a soft hat on (the type that has the wire in and not the un-reinforced type of soft hat - am I making sense?). The bracelet does show signs of wear and tear and looks like it has been worn.

OK. So here are my questions. I know enough to work out the written info on the bracelet. However, as I don't have a copy of the Hull Pals book and I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as the regulars on this forum, I need some help so here goes......

I know the East Yorks cap badge is sort of diamond like. The photograph, although small, shows something on the hat that COULD be this but with what could be a bugle underneath it. I know that the bugle is an infantry symbol but would this be worn on the hat as well as the East Yorks badge? Of course, it could be just a different capbadge ( yes I know - Kipling and King - very helpful - helpful if you have a copy that is. Mine's just been ordered) and there is nothing to indicate if this is the man to which the bracelet is named and he could be a relative or friend of the bracelet wearer etc etc etc.

Before I start the next bit, remember the surname on the bracelet. As it is written - Lear. ( including the punctuation).

Well, as I said, I'm not exactly the most knowledgable when it comes to these matters but.... I'm surfing the web and the weekend and the BBC tell me I can access medal rolls online. I've had this bracelet in my top drawer for a few years and don't know anything about the soldier so why not try to find out a bit more? Good idea yes (and those of you who read on and are thinking - why didn't you just buy the Hull Pals book or even just take a peak at Waterstones and you would have your answer - I'm thinking exactly the same at the time of writing :huh: )?

It would be if I could find a G Lear of the East Yorks in the archives. As far as I can see there isn't one on the medal rolls. Of course, it could be that Lear. is shortened and his real name could be Learoyd (fine Yorkshire name :D ) or something like that. It could also be that I am stupid and don't know how to search the archives properly. I also couldn't find any mention of a G Lear on the CWGC site (but that's a good thing I think).

So - can anyone tell me if this man existed or is it a fake. A friend of mine who knows I collect Militaria passed the bracelet on to me. It cost him £1.00 off a junk stall on Leeds market so, if it is a fake, it wasn't faked by the person who sold it to my friend. It also came into my possession long before the BBC documentary about the 10th East Yorks was made so no connection there either.

Can anyone help?

If it's a fake. Why? If it's real - anyone know anything about the owner and will you sell me his medals if you have them?#

Many many thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Andrew

#Please disregard the "sell me his medals" bit if you are a relative - no offence meant or intended there.

Andrew

Your man is likely to be George Edwin Lear. His MIC is listed but his number is incomplete and only shows the first 5 numbers 22004. You will need his Medal Roll to determine his battalion , though his number is from the new serial numbers issued to the 4th Bn East Yorkshire Regiment, but it is likely he also served with the 10th Bn.

Hope this helps

Peter

Many, many thanks Peter. You have no idea just how grateful I am for this. Now I can start to research this man.

Once again, I am very much indebted to you. Thank you.

Andrew