The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sailors

museumtom

I have just got a nice ww1 trio to a navy guy who was killed in an air raid in ww2.......how the heck do I search this guy? The NA have nothing on him as far as I can see. he is in the CWGC but where else can I go to get more info? He was PO Peter Lewis Saubergue in ww1 and CPO Peter Lewis Saubergue in ww2 and was at HMS Eglet and buried in Liverpool.

I know you guys can help me here.I just need a little direction.

many thanks.

regards.

Tom

Tom

I got some info many years ago about my Grandad who served in WW1 on the Highflyer from the archivist at Portsmouth RN establishment. I also seem to remember that the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich once published several leaflets about research and one of them was specifically written about RN Sailors records. It might be worth a look on their website.

Dave

I have just got a nice ww1 trio to a navy guy who was killed in an air raid in ww2.......how the heck do I search this guy? The NA have nothing on him as far as I can see. he is in the CWGC but where else can I go to get more info? He was PO Peter Lewis Saubergue in ww1 and CPO Peter Lewis Saubergue in ww2 and was at HMS Eglet and buried in Liverpool.

I know you guys can help me here.I just need a little direction.

many thanks.

regards.

Tom

You may be able to get WW1 Service Record for Him @ the NA {In Person,Along With his Naval Medal Index Card,Again these are unavailable Online to the RN,Post 1928 RN Records are Still held by HMS Centurion,Gosport Hants,& They will only release Information to Designated N~o~K{I have a Similar WW1 LSGC Group to a CPO Roy Kennedy Who Died In Scotland OAS Aboard HMS Forth in October 1944,On enquiring About his Record I was informed that his Records upto 1928 are in the PRO & They {HMS Centurion Gosport} hold his Post '28 to Death Records}

If he was a regular rating, you can get his pre-1928 records at the NA under ADM188. They are easy to find and (virtually?) complete, as opposed to Army records. If you PM I can give you the email of a researcher I use for such tasks.

They also hold officers and other naval branch records.

Richard