The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regimental Numbers

Guest Laroux

Hi, I am researching my family history. My Grandfather, Frank BRYAN's medal index card states the Corps as RE, RFA and RE, Rank Cpl, Reg No 138236 (RE),29523 (RFA), 501709(RE). He was given the Victory medal and the British War medal. I have these medals and the inscription has the number 138236 on them.He lived in Limehouse, East London and was a Lighterman. I have a letter dated 25/02/1919 from the London Shipowners' & Transport Workers' Military Service Committee (for the Ministry of Labour) addressed to his Father regarding his release and stating.. "I trust that now it will not be long before you have news of him, although a great many of the N.C.O.'s of the Inland Water Transport have been found so useful in Transport work that their Commanding Officers are very reluctant to let them return to civil life".

Could somebody please enlighten me about:

Why he had 3 Reg. nos.

What does Corp mean.

Which regiment would he have been in.

He had brothers who also joined the 'colours' and I do not know what this means.

I believe he went to France. As you can tell, I have no knowledge of anything to do with the Army and would very much appreciate any help. Thank you.

Hi Laroux :D

The Corps is the Unit(s) he served in. RE = Royal Engineers, RFA = Royal field Artillery, and then back into the RE's again. Im assuming it means he served in 3 units in the order shown, as he has 3 different numbers.

The Colours reference means his brothers also joined up to fight basically.

If you want to learn more about what Frank did in the War, try to identify what Battery etc he served in within the RE & RFA. The reference numbers written next to the Medals on his MIC are the 'Rolls' for the Unit; a list of all soldiers entitled to the medals in his unit, in sequence. Will give extra info on which Company or Battery he served in (for example) & what theatre he entered I believe, so you can trace what the RE & RFA units he served in did throughout the war.

Theres also local papers on microfiche to explore, service papers at the PRO to look for if you want, Unit War Diaries, and the databases, books & knowledge available through this forum, etc etc :rolleyes: ! And the same applies to his brothers of course.

I hope this helps start you off if nothing else! And ask away about anything at any stage, not many of the Forum Pals bite!

Take care

Steve