The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Missing grenadier guards service record

nellys

I have just recieved a letter informing me that my GG uncle's service record is missing. I have his service number taken from The CWGC site re his casualty details and place of burial. Is this it?

They have suggested he may have changed Regiment or Corps, how do I find this out? CWCG details as follows, Thomas Smith UK, Lance Corporal, Grenadier Guards, Kings Company 1st Battalion, dod 21/11/16 service no 23494. Parents names and address and Grove Town Cemetry. I would assume this means his service number is correct.

He died before the Somme, can anyone advise where I may try now or do I just accept this, I'm really dissappointed! Thanks Nel

Welcome to the club... about 50% of service records from WW1 were lost during the Blitz, including my great uncles. However, I have been able to find out loads about his short military career thanks to the PRO and especially the Pals on this forum.

I'd suggest asking if anyone has the War Diary as well as for his entry on the SDGW CD. Once you have the diary stuff, you can use regt histoires, the regt museum and sadly obsessive Pals like me to find out more about your GG uncle.

If it helps, I had a service number and a grave but now have details of how my relative died, who died with him and where as well as maps and pictures of the area. I'm also in touch with another Pal researching someone who was killed with my great uncle. Don't give up hope just yet.

Welcome to the club... about 50% of service records from WW1 were lost during the Blitz, including my great uncles.

I was under the impression that all Guards records survived as they were kept seperate from those of "lesser mortals" ;) and therefore not lost in the blitz.

Andy

They are.

Duplicates were (and are) kept at the Guards' Barracks at Birdcage Walk in London. You will need to contact the Adjutant, and the address is available on-line if you use the address as a keyword.

Richard

The above is correct, however you have to fill in a form stating that you are the next of Kin and they charge about £25 for the search, so all is not lost Nel.

What i recieved was two pages, one was the "attestation form" and the "Statement of the Services" form but still very interesting.

You will need to get in touch with RHQ and ask to speak to the archivist,

yours,

Peter

The above is correct, however you have to fill in a form stating that you are the next of Kin and they charge about £25 for the search, so all is not lost Nel.

What i recieved was two pages, one was the "attestation form" and the "Statement of the Services" form but still very interesting.

You will need to get in touch with RHQ and ask to speak to the archivist,

yours,

Peter

Erm... so how did I avoid filling out any forms or paying £25 when I wrote r.e. my great-gradfather's GG record a few months back?! :ph34r:

Erm...maybe you was lucky!, at the time March 2003 the archivist of the Coldstream Guards required a signed declaration confirming next of kin and a £20/25 search fee.

I have a bit more info now should I write again re Thomas Smith. He is listed on CWGC as being a lance corporal Grenadier Guards, is this likely if he was transferred to another unit, battalion etc . They didn't send me a form even though I requested one, just all records missing??? Nel

While researching my Grandfather, who was a CSM in the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards, I wrote to the archivist, with the completed form and cheque. I also gave his regimental number and some details of his Boer War service. He phoned a couple of weeks later to say that my Grandfather's records had been mislaid at some point and that there was nothing else he could offer. He did say that about 5% of the records are not obtainable.

Regards

John