The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Nothing of Importance by Bernard Adams - First Edition Anyone ?

Deckape

Hi

The above book has to be one of my favourites, not just for the way it is written but also in the way that you can follow a lot of it today on the ground, especially with the help of Linesman as I have done.

But, as a collector of first editions I just cannot find a first edition of this book ! I have the 1418 collection version which is great but I would like the original 1917 first edition. Does anyone have a copy they would like to sell or if anyone has seen one on a site I've missed please let me know. Many thanks

It's certainly a very scarce book, particularly in it's jacket, but I do see the odd copy for sale now and again. You'll just have to be patient. My copy, jacketed and inscribed by Adams sister, I found in a box of cheap books on the floor of a central London bookshop! Several of the other collectors here have copies.

I can't be of much help I'm afraid, but the last copy I saw for sale was a few years ago and was being sold by Tom Donovan at about £95, I was lucky to find a jacketed first

on Abe in 2009 , there were actually two jacketed copies for sale at that time. So it's really just a case of putting it on your 'wants' list on Abe and on e-bay and keeping an eye

out for a copy which may appear in a Tom Donovan catalogue, and if I come across a copy for sale I will let you know.

when i purchased mine from the net there were 2/3 copies {originals} for sale, these scarce books are like buses!

Thanks v much for the quick replies, much appreciated. At least I know they are out there ! Got it as a want on Abe and Ebay so I'll just have to wait ! Thanks again

Hi there

Just seen this post. I've got a first edition (unjacketed, sadly). Nevertheless, I would be willing to part with it should you be interested. Do you want to PM me?

All best

Richard