The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

DIE ABENTEUER DES MUSKETIERS ALBERT KRENTEL

fritz

Now available in bookstores.

The experiences of my grandfather in the First World War. He was Musketeer in Schleswig-Holstein Infantry Regiment 163. He survived Hulluch, the Battle of the Somme, trench-fightings at Ypres, the Battle of Arras and over two years English captivity.

Sorry in German, but with a great number of photographs and maps.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=die+abenteuer+des+musketiers+albert+krentel

Any questions? Please contact me.

Fritz

post-12337-0-18837800-1442599085_thumb.j

I read the extract on Amazon.de last night (it's different the than the extract on the uk site) - great stuff. I look forward to reading the rest of the book. Well done.

Charlie

Well done. Will you seek translation?

Hi David,

is this an offer??? :) You should know my English is very limited.

Fritz

I read the extract on Amazon.de last night (it's different the than the extract on the uk site) - great stuff. I look forward to reading the rest of the book. Well done.

Charlie

Hello Charlie,

thank you for your positive assessment.

Greetings to you on the lonely Harz mountains.

Fritz

Sounds like a great result and I imagine the section covering his POW status will be something to

study.

We'll done

My Dear Fritz, I suspect your English is less limited than my German.

My particular interest is in German Great War novels, diaries and personal accounts written by Germans, soldiers and non combatants, which have been translated into English - I have over 100 so far and am slowly, slowly, building a bibliography and commentary.

There is no doubt about the growing interest in such books, although copies of many are extremely difficult to track down.

English publishers are strangely frightened of such works now - it seems that the important German book about Junger published last year will go untranslated despite his fame.

It might be worth tryng to find a good translatoe and having a pop at publishing an English language copy - although I fully understand the problems and risk in doing so.

Best of luck with German sales.

David

Hi David and Roy,

thanks for your good wishes.

Fritz

P.S. Another pic of my grandfather

post-12337-0-09271400-1442685544_thumb.j

Sounds interesting - I'll get a copy! Give my regard to the Harz Mountains (has the tree cover returned yet?), and remember, the known Hildesheim find was only a part of what got 'appropriated' after the Varus disaster...

Sounds interesting - I'll get a copy! Give my regard to the Harz Mountains (has the tree cover returned yet?), and remember, the known Hildesheim find was only a part of what got 'appropriated' after the Varus disaster...

I downloaded a copy yesterday and am really enjoying it. We still have plenty of trees and those that were blown down in the storm have been replaced. Unfortunately no silverware was hidden away in my cellar :(

Gruß aus dem Harz

Charlie

Trajan, you are always very well informed about German affairs. :)

Here comes another pic of my GF

post-12337-0-84382400-1442759010_thumb.j

Another example of my material. The positions of IR 163´s companies in the battle of Arras April 9th 1917.

post-12337-0-07424900-1443431198_thumb.j

Fritz

I really enjoyed your book, how lucky you are that the letters and photos have survived. The letters your Grandfather wrote are a reminder of how important contact with home and normality was to the soldiers. Do you know what happened to the people mentioned in your Grandfathers note book, did they all survive apart from Karl? I presume Gef. Fürchtenicht was related to your Great Grandmother. How your Great Grandparents managed to scrape together tobacco etc for parcels to Albert when he was a PoW is quite unimaginable, they probably didn't have enough for themselves.

Charlie

Charlie,

thank you for your positive criticism.

What happened to my GF´s friends and relatives. His brother Heinrich (page 134) survived. So did Füsilier Heinrich Heine from Ernst Jünger´s Füsilierregiment 73. After the war Heinrich Heine was a grocerman in Salzgitter and always a guest when my GF celebrated his birthday parties. The others were not registered in "Verlustlisten". So I believe they all survived the war.

On page 123. Musketier Säger survived. He had a furniture shop after the war. Musketier Friedrich Tonn died. He was wounded and died in a hospital in Mönchengladbach. His grave is still there on Hauptfriedhof. Unteroffizier Köhlert is most probably a relative of Albert´s patron in Semmenstedt, where my GF was trained as shoemaker.

I should prove all this names in "Verlustlisten" exactly.

I am just reading "Das Wäldchen 125" of Ernst Jünger. Very intersting analysis of trench-war in 1918.

Wish you all the best

Fritz