The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldiers transferred to another Regiment?

nellys

Posted earlier re Thomas Smith GG. Next question, were soldiers often transferred to other Regiments, if so why? As you may have realised, I'm fairly new to this. My GG uncle was a miner before joining the guards may this have been a reason??? Does it mean he did something wrong?

Also where would I find this out?? P.s I did write to the Adjutant, and he wrote.. ALL documents relating to Thomas were missing. Nel

Hi Nel

There were often transfers because of a wound and subsequent recovery, leading to them being put into the 'most appropriate' Unit. Could have been simply that his original unit were a distance away after he'd recovered, so was easier to move him to another closer one?? (BTW, I havent read your 1st post, so dont know if Im helping or not!!)

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, story so far. Have Thomas Smith's CWGG with service no. Applied to regimental archivist, who have no records! Have just got his medal index and am now completely baffled! Will try to post in correct place, before asking further questions! I have a lot to ask, Nel

Post away Nel. Im sure we'll have a go at shedding a bit of light :D .

If you cant copy & post the MIC, write it all down on the post & we'll prob be able to decipher it that way ...

Steve