The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Died a POW 1918

malangston

I'm very new to this site so excuse if I am going over already trodden ground. My Great Uncle died a POW in Germany in 1918. Don't know what camp, all I know he is buried at Arras, how he got there I'm not sure. The family have always said he was pushed down stairs by the German guards but his death certificate says Cardiac Weakness.

Steven Charles Langston died 10th April 1918 in Germany. Served with the 6th Battalion Buffs

Malangston

Welcome to the Forum

On the Home site, the Long, Long Trail there is a searchable database called 'Behind the Wire' which refers:

'to work conducted by the Committee on the Treatment of British Prisoners of War, during and shortly after the Great War of 1914-1918. This Committee collected various reports and pieces of information, many of which were from debriefing interviews of escapees and returning prisoners. Such information that still exists from the work of this Committee is available in the National Archives in Kew, London, in document series WO161. The database is the only on-line, searchable index to this information. The records themselves are not on-line - you need to visit the National Archives in person to see them. The database gives you the document and page number. It includes more than 7,000 individual cases, but obviously this covers only a small portion of the men taken prisoner'

I have done a search on 'Charles' at this link and you will see that your Great uncle is not listed.

Maybe some other Pal has a suggestion.

Martin

Hi

I found a Private Steven Charles Langston on the CWGC site:

Died 10/4/1918 aged 36

Buried/ Mem: Caberet-Rouge, British Cemetery, Souchez. ( I'm going here in May 05 on a WFA branch tour)

Grave/Ref: XV.0.4

Service: SR/92 ( I dont know what this means)

Is this your man?? You say hes buried at Arras

Lindsey

Sorry, forgot to say he was in the Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Lindsey

I am trying to send you the link to this site (Commonwealth War Graves Commision) -just put in the details you have and hopefuly you will see his infolindsey!),not good at this IT stuff but here goes!!

Didnt work.... baaaah

Nevermind, just type in CWGC to your search engine and the search facility should come up on this site for the info I have given you.

Lindsey

SC Langston was a Special Reservist. he was entitled to the 1914/15 star, British war Medal and Victory Medal.

He went overseas on 16th March 1915 to France and Flanders and died as a POW on 10th April 1918.

This info is from the Medal Roll for the star

The date he went overseas was too early for the 6th Bn so he must have transferred from the 2nd or 1st Bn at some time. I do not have the BWM/VM roll for him so cannot tell which other Bn/s he served in.

He was born in St John's, Margate. He enlisted and lived at Margate

The CWGC gives the additional info that he died as a prisoner of war (not viewable on the website)

I'd be grateful for any info you have on him

Mick