The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What battalion?

eviltaxman

I've got a SWB (#103101) and the corresponding SWB Roll, which shows the badge was issued to Pte John Turner, 15593, Leicestershire Reg. I've downloaded his MIC, but there's no real info shown other than the Regiment and that he's entitled to the usual pair.... no mention of a SWB.

The Roll shows more info -- discharged from unit "Depot", Enlistment - 5/10/14 and discharged 29/8/16 due to sickness and had served overseas.

My little question for the "knowledgeable ones" -- Is the SWB entitlement always shown on MICs? I've checked for a duplicate MIC, but the one I have is the only one.

Also (just realised I hadn't asked), from his serial number, is there anyone who could pinpoint the battalion please?

Les.

SWB is not always shown on MiC,sometimes I believe SWB was not issued{It had to be applied for???}& Sometimes all it says on MiC is "Discharged */*/191*" or whatever,Without a SWB Roll Page Number

The Battalion would probably be a Service Battalion,{K1/2 or 3}from the Number,however he may well have been a Re~Inforcemrent for the Regulars.

The Medal Roll page on the MiC will hopefully tell you his Battalion{s}.

Thanks for the info. There's nothing on the MIC regarding discharge at all. It looks like a "normal" pair entitlement MIC - less the date of entry.

Hopefully I'll be going to the NA (still doesn't sound right!) in a week or so, so I can check the rolls then.

Thanks,

Les.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Les,

If there is an SWB issued it is recorded on a roll for which there must be a reference on a card. This could be a case of a split MIC. Try putting in just the number and see if you get a J Turner or a different name (has been known).

As Roger says the medal roll should show the Bn, sometimes this is not the case. Then a service paper search is called for.

Ian

Ian, Roger - Call me a idiot (you're an idiot!! :lol: )

Yes, I downloaded the MIC for my man, yes there was an entry for Pte John Turner of the Leics Regiment..... but a different JT.... my man's MIC was on the same sheet (as I ordered by the serial number), but didn't notice the difference in number.

My John Turner's MIC shows entitlement to the 15 trio + SWB - including date of entry in the theatre = 29/7/15. That much is now a solved mystery!?! The only thing I would like to do now, is suss out the correct Btn so I can work out when/where he mas have been wounded.

Thanks to you both,

Yours (an idiot :ph34r: )

Les.