The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for info Major C R Goldie-Taubman

manxmangt

I am looking for information on another Great-uncle, Major C R Goldie-Taubman, 6th (Service) Battalion Soiuth Lancashire Regiment, I am Sure he survived the was as the CWGC do not list him.

Hello

Given the name, Taubman, & your nickname, I assume your relative enlisted from the Isle of Man. Many volunteers from the Island served in Service Bns of the Lancs Regt, & there is a "Roll of Honour" in the Manx Museum Douglas, I'll try to have a look for his name on it tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Mark

"The Isle of Man and the Great War" by B.E. Sargeaunt published in 1920

has a couple of mentions concerning members of this family

Leigh Goldie-Taubman, MHK was in charge of the local branch of the sailors' and soldiers' help society

Both he and Lady Goldie-Taubman had tea with the King and Queen at the Nunnery, Douglas (the family seat) in 1920.

1901 census is online, can't be many Goldie- Taubmans.

Tried that and only came up with Great-uncle Gerald, which brings me to another point, did Gerald Goldie-Taubman, Reginald Goldie-Taubman or Harry Goldie-Taubman serve in the war, they were from a military family.

check the mics, they're online

Medal entitlement cards (MIC) are found on the below detailed site. If you men are entitled to campaign medals (ie served overseas) they will be here. It will give their rank, unit, etc when awarded the medals. It's free to search, but payment is required to download. If you also go to the long, long trail (link at the top of this page) and go to Grandad's war, it will explain how you can work your way around to get what you want.

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

had a quick look

if you enter Goldie-Taubman you get a hit, but if you also enter Taubman on its own you get a hit for another man whose "Goldie" is treated as a second forename.

You're lucky as they all seem to be officers, it is more likely that their records exist at the National archives

Thanks manxman, I've found Reginald (G-uncle) and Harry (G-father) under Taubman with Goldie as a second name, Gerald was private 205552 Tank Corps and Harry was private 20670 Liverpool Regiment as well as l/corporal 63638 Cheshire Regiment.

Thanks for your help all I have to do now is find out what they did :(