The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Any help gratefully accepted

mikemcc

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this - so please bear with me!

These pictures are of my Grandfather; Pte Benjamin James Watson - 44530. According to his Medal Index Card he was in the Durham Light Infantry. This seems strange as he came from a small village in Wiltshire. Also neither of the cap badges seem to be that of the DLI.

I know that he was wounded whilst in France, sent home and did not return.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any information as to which regiments the cap badges belong.

Thanks,

Mike McCabe

post-1-1100814127.jpg

According to his Medal Index Card he was in the Durham Light Infantry. This seems strange as he came from a small village in Wiltshire. Also neither of the cap badges seem to be that of the DLI.

Mike,

Your Grandfather may have been conscripted into the army which is why he was in the DLI.

Men were sent to a regiment that were short on numbers.

However, the picture on the right appears to me to be Royal Artillery and the left one seems to be Grenadier Guards??

Maybe your Grandfather served pre-war with these regiments?

What does his MIC say?

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk
:D Small Photo shows a man in the Royal Artillery,unable to tell if he is Field,Horse,or Garrisson Artillery.Big Photo seems to Show a type of Flaming |Grenade type cap badge usually associated with Fusiler Regiments,or The Honourable Artillery Company,or even the Grenadier Guards...hope this might put you on the right path....Russ.

Thanks both,

I have another photograph which may be of interest - Grandad Jim is bottom row second from left.

Mike

post-1-1101049245.jpg

The first picture doesn't show the Grenadier Guards cap badge. I think it is either the Northumberland Fusiliers or Royal Welsh Fusiliers. The others are Royal Artillery

Regards

Gavin