The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Infantry sections/platoons

I am trying to find out how many soldiers (and what the ranks and weapons used) are in an infantry section and how many sections in a platoon. The information i keep finding contradicts very thing i have found out.

Dont forget that sections evolved through the war. There were four rifle sections in a platoon in 1914, but by 1918 two rifle sections and two MG sections.

I've seen refs as to 14 man sections in 1914 and 8 -10 man sections in 1918.

A platoon was supposed to be 50-60 men divided into four sections. The CO was a Lt or 2nd Lt with 1/2 sgts to assist, four corporals (one per section) and sometimes another four lance corporals. If only one sgt was available, a corporal might be made lance-sgt (no change in pay buy could use the sgts mess).

I can't remember how Lewis guns were distributed exactly but recall a figure of one team (six men) per platoon which would give you (4 x 14) + 6 = 62. However most platoons were permanently understrength due to illness, training, allocation to other duties (Stokes mortar boys etc.).

The Lewis gun squad typically comprised the gunner, his #2 who could also operate the gun if needed and four loaders. The loaders carried additional magazines either in boxes or as part of a special webbing set in addition to their usual infantry equipment (a heavy load).

Also post-1/7/16 all platoons would leave approx 10% of their number at camp/the transport lines when going into action. This was to preserve a nucleus of the unit in the event of heavy losses and included officers, NCOs and the PBI.

Hope this helps.

A platoon was supposed to be 50-60 men divided into four sections. The CO was a Lt or 2nd Lt with 1/2 sgts to assist, four corporals (one per section) and sometimes another four lance corporals. If only one sgt was available, a corporal might be made lance-sgt (no change in pay buy could use the sgts mess).

I can't remember how Lewis guns were distributed exactly but recall a figure of one team (six men) per platoon which would give you (4 x 14) + 6 = 62. However most platoons were permanently understrength due to illness, training, allocation to other duties (Stokes mortar boys etc.).

The Lewis gun squad typically comprised the gunner, his #2 who could also operate the gun if needed and four loaders. The loaders carried additional magazines either in boxes or as part of a special webbing set in addition to their usual infantry equipment (a heavy load).

Also post-1/7/16 all platoons would leave approx 10% of their number at camp/the transport lines when going into action. This was to preserve a nucleus of the unit in the event of heavy losses and included officers, NCOs and the PBI.

Hope this helps.

I think there had been a change around 1916 or beginning '17. A platoon became more and more able to act indepent, with every section allotted a different task. One of them was a Lewis Gun section, I think another one a rifle grenade section, a "normal" infantry section (although,having my roots in Field Artillery, I will repeat and repeat that am quite convinced that "normal Infantry" does not exist) and probably a Stokes mortar section (not sure about this). This gave the platoon more self supporting possibilities for firepower. Reading same after-battle reports I noticed that thy where mostly very happy with the Lewis guns and Rifle grenades, but less enthousiast about the bombing possibilities.

True about the 10% rule, but I am not convinced that this was executed on platoon level. Wasn't this nucleus introduced already after the Battle of Loos in '15?

Erwin

Thanks for the replies - still more or less the same contradiction in sizes but very helpful all the same - basically depends on the year.

Question for BatterySergeantMajor - you are/have been a BSM or is it just a screen name? I am an Aussie Drop Short that floats between the guns and the command post myself. Just wondering.

It does depend on the year, in two ways:

1. The variety of weapons and the tactics for their use changed over time.

2. The numbers of men decreased.

Robert

Question for BatterySergeantMajor - you are/have been a BSM or is it just a screen name? I am an Aussie Drop Short that floats between the guns and the command post myself. Just wondering.

Hi Shelldrake

After having done the surveying for almost 9 years I have been BSM in Belgian 6th ArtilleryBn in Germany (now disbanded). Changed afterwards to Logistic Corps (and have been CSM there for another 8 years), but my Field Artillery years where the best in my career(although somewhat wet and cold).

You are in the Australian Army? I guided around some people of your ceremonial Guard a couple of years ago- very nice and interested people.

Erwin

Check out What was a Battalion?, on the Long, Long Trail.

Chris,

Many many thanks for the heads up. I'm obviously spending too much time browsing the Forum and not enough the Long, Long Trail. I've been after a definitive breakdown of an Infantry Battalion's War Establishment for ages, in an attempt to reconcile the ranks of the men of the original contingent on the 1914 Star Roll. Where is this defined - King's Regulations?

Steve