The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/20th Battalion The London Regiment

Guest pmcrory

My Grandfather was wounded on this day while serving as a private soldier in the Battalion. I'm keen to find out more detail about the part the unit played in the attack, including personal memories and stories. I have no idea how he was wounded (other than a GSW to L arm), or what he was doing at the time. If anyone can help, please get in touch. Many thanks. Paul

Hello Paul, and a belated welcome to the forum. I thought you might find this letter of interest. I think it is one of the saddest items in my possession. It was written by a soldier who died shortly after this action. The CWGC reference to him says "John William Christopher Smith, 5983, 1/20th Londons, kia Sunday 1st October 1916. Thiepval Memorial. Son of Mrs Alice Maud Smith":

Addressed to:

Mr. J. Smith

89 Buchanan Gardens

Willesden

London

England

NW

Postmark

Field Post Office 183

Dated 26 September 1916

Sunday 24.9.16 Same address

To my own dearest father,

At last I am free to answer your very nice letter. I am very pleased to know that you are still keeping in good health, and am very pleased to say that I am, which is due to “God’s great mercy”, for no one only those who have come through it, knows what we have had to bear, from last Thursday, until we were relieved last Tuesday night.

I will now try to give you a little idea of what it is like, for we were only a few days with the RE’s and rejoined our unit on Sunday.

On the Thursday afternoon we tried to reach the boys in the line, and managed to get near them, when they shelled us heavily, and we were obliged to seek shelter in a shell hole for several hours, after which we had to return; on the Friday evening we again tried to reach them but a shell wounded several of our party, and I was very fortunate to escape for they were lying all round me poor fellows, and Saturday was as bad for in the evening they shelled us heavily with high explosives and tear gas also gas bombs, and it was terrible.

Our boys came out of the line <censored> and we were then able to rejoin them, but it was only for a few hours, for we were back again Sunday night.

The weather had now changed and the rest of our time in the line was very wet, cold and miserable.

The Huns gave us a little rest during the night, but shelled us again Monday morning, and only “God” knows how I escaped, for one of their shells burst on the back of my parapet, tearing my waterproof and trousers to rags, and burying me up to my waist, it requiring two of my comrades to dig me out, also breaking my shovel in two and it was then that I realised how “God” is protecting me.

We had it very rough until we were relieved Tuesday night, and I am pleased to say, we are now a long way back resting, for how long I can not say.

I doubt if you would have known me for I was dirty, and covered in mud and clay, but am pleased to say I am now tip top again, having been rigged out afresh.

I met George Kemmitt on my return and thanked him for his kindness, those cards were one for Mother and one for Ethel, and I am very pleased he wrote to you, for as he is on Headquarters Staff he will always be pleased to tell you any news about me, when I am unable to write. I am also pleased to say my friend came through safe, for George is his Brother-in-law.

I am very happy with them both, and you can not credit how smooth and comfortable George makes it for us both, for he is a good Christian, and I owe him a great debt for the way he looks after us, for we want for nothing.

I have just been made Company Stretcher Bearer, so I hope to have it more comfortable now, for it has its advantages and disadvantages but I would sooner be this than the other.

The weather has been glorious since we have been out of the line, and today is lovely again.

I hear from later letters that Aunt Emm has brought you up a lot of lily roots from Cambridge. I hope they will be a success, and I am very pleased to know that the garden has been such a picture this year. I am sure it is something to be proud of Dad.

Yes I think it is a shame about that man and his wife concerning their son, and I only hope and trust you will never have the occasion to be placed in a similar position.

I have no more news so will close, with fondest love and best wishes to your dear self and all. Goodbye and “God” bless and protect you.

From your ever loving and affectionate son

XXXXX John

Written on the rear of the envelope is

John’s last letter

John killed 25 Sept 1916

(the last note seems to be a little inaccurate, but no matter).

You might also find this book review helpful.

Good luck.