The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Peter Stanley's book "Die in Battle, Do Not Despair' - The Indians On Gallipoli 1915" is well worth buying

Published by Helion (always good sign) and a hefty weight (also usually a good sign), it arrived a few days ago. Half way through it and I would strongly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the Indian Army or Gallipoli. It is extremely well researched and he does a marvellous job eking out records, personal diaries and photos (most of which I have never seen before) from Indian archives and regimental archives. It is a quality book that matches Morton-Jack's recent book on the Indian Army Corps on the Western Front.

My only quibble is that the sub-title should have been The Indian Army On Gallipoli 1915.

MG

Right Flank Rear.

Thanks Martin

Looking forward to getting this one.

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

This really is a fine book. A great read if you are interested in Gallipoli but also uses the campaign as a vehicle through which to study the Indian Army.

I would recommend it to anyone.

More to come from Helion regarding the Indian Army and FWW.

• 6 months later...

It seems a not-uncommon mis-spelling. Indeed, I have seen the correct spelling underlined in wobbly red lines by some spell-checkers and the spelling above suggested.

American, possibly?

But thanks for the review: it looks like a book well-worth reading.

(Incidentally, I remember the Airfix plastic figures were spelt Ghurka, too)

If it's good enough for Her Maj, it's good enough for me. https://www.royal.uk/investiture-stories-third-generation-ghurka-receives-his-grandfathers-mbe-after-seventy-years

(Having said that, I had already corrected the review page before it was cross-posted to Amazon)

Chris - it wasn't a criticism, just pointing out the correct spelling. It is an understandable error. The Garhwal Rifles suffer the same, often being described as Gharwal. They two are ethnically linked. I served in the Gurkhas and trust me, the correct spelling is Gurkhas, in 1915 (see Army List) and today; Army List, Gurkha Welfare Trust, Gurkha Museum etc. The only variant spelling was Goorkhas which the Sirmoor Rifles ( 2 GR) once used.

Your review was spot on and very succinct I thought. I hope more people buy the book as a result. The 29th Indian Inf Bde and the Indian Mule Corps have long needed a voice in more recent times. MG

The only variant spelling was Goorkhas which the Sirmoor Rifles ( 2 GR) once used.

Goorkhas was an older spelling variant, quite common in the 19th century. Many British Indian words which originally were spelt with a oo, subsequently were 'modernised' to a u.

Cheers

Maureen

I could be wrong (it has been known), but in the modern Indian Army, is the spelling "Gorkha"?

All of which distracts from the book in question, which I shall certainly be buying.

£12.50 + p&p at Naval & Military Press at the moment.

Great - £3.50 P&P but still a bargain. Ordered.

Don't let Mrs B know.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't let Mrs B know.

I felt honesty was the best policy (though with the expensive ones I still have Doubts).

It arrived last weekend and has elbowed its way to the top of the reading pile.

Coming back to the question of spelling Gurkha ... the spell-checker on the Forum underlines 'Gurkha' with a wriggly red line, but equally dislikes any other spelling I've tried (Ghurka, Guhrka, Gurhka Gurka)

How does the Invision team see it being spelt?

Gurkha on mine doesn't get underlined but all other mis-spellings do get underlined. But then again so does Honour and labour and neighbour

I reviewed it for the NAM. It is a bedrock piece of research which will (or deserves to be) cited in all future work. And when you see how quickly it was written..!