The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What's the difference in Advanced Dressing Station and Field Ambul

catfishmo

Mud? Surely you mean "dull cherry"!

:lol:

Ron

I started working on profiles this morning so that I can get them activated on my database and immediately came across a reference to the term Company being used. It can be found here http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1649296/FEARON-BROWN,%20HOWARD%20IVISON

I thought I would post it to highlight that Lt/Col Nicholls was not the only one to refer to field ambulances being divided into companies.

So there you go - as with most things RAMC, it is all as clear as mud!

I think you were right that some of the older officers familiar with the old 'bearer companies' found it difficult to adapt to new terminology, Barbara. As a general rule though, you would be correct to use the terms from the establishment tables and official war diary as your primary source. The many war diaries make it clear that A, B and C 'section' are by far the most common designations and thus in accord with the primary source.

P.S. So far I cannot find the RAMC web page that I mentioned, I think it might have been just another, perhaps archived page, of your's.

P.S. So far I cannot find the RAMC web page that I mentioned, I think it might have been just another, perhaps archived page, of your's.

It don't think it would be anything to do with me because I only have the RAMC website.

Anyway, I have been thinking about how I can change the 'Chain of Evacuation' section on my website and have decided to make it a bit more explanatory rather than just facts and figures, and have decided to use a variety of different sources and use quotes to illustrate. I am off to Ypres in a couple of weeks time so won't be able to change anything until I get back. When I have I will post here, or I could start another thread - I would welcome feedback as I not only want it to be factually correct but easily read and understood.

Regards

Barbara