The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Oxford & Bucks LI

Hello,

I am enquiring from Australia about a relative of mine who is listed on the Roll of Honour in the village church of St Peter & St Paul in Chacombe or Chacolmbe as it was once known, in Northamptonshire.

It reads:

For God For King For Country

Pte Reginald Sewell

Ox & Bucks LI Loos Sept 1915

Try as I might, I can not find his death in the casualty records for WW1, Loos.

Any suggestions welcome!

Bram Taylor

Australia

bctaylor@bigpond.net.au

A mystery indeed. I have checked CWGC and SDGW with no result. I have also run an online MIC check again with no luck. I have an extensive database on the Ox & Bucks, but have no details for him.

Next time I'm at The National Archives I'll check the medal index rolls which is as near as we get to knowing who served and I'll add him to my "to be investigated" list.

One other option would be to write to the regimantal museum and see if they have anything.

I'll dig out the details and send you a PM over the weekend

regards

Lesley

There are plenty of people who are missing from CWGC records for one reason or another. As examples, of the 97 boys listed on our school war memorial, two are not commemorated by CWGC-one died in what was subsequently determined was an 'ordinary' shipwreck, ie not enemy action, the other died some time after discharge from the Canadian Army. My hunch would be that this is the most common reason, but there are those who claim that the CWGC is missing quite a lot of people who died in action but due to confusion, mistaken identity, administrative blunders etc have been missed off the register. Someone has done quite a lot of research on this, particularly about Royal Naval Division personnel. Not sure what the current state of play is about this. Given the number of people recorded mistakes are inevitable.

Incidentally the lost records are army service records, destroyed in the London blitz. The CWGC register is entirely separate and (thank goodness) was not affected.

Bram

Just to confirm the location as Chalcombe, here's Reginald in the 1901 census (third from bottom).

Steve