The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unusual Collar Badge

Guest rodmacarthur

Guest rodmacarthur

I am trying to help a friend to identify the regiment of a relative of theirs. The only clue is an old photo which shows an unusual British Army collar badge. I attach a photo. It seems to be two crossed items. The thicker item could be either a stylised vickers machine gun or a bundle of fasces, the ancient Roman symbol of state power, unfortunately adopted by fascists as their emblem at a later date. The thinner item could be either a stylised bow and arrow, or stylised wings or possibly bicycle handlebars. I did wonder about the Machine Gun Corps but their badge was a pair of crossed vickers machine guns. I also wondered about the Cyclist Corps but it has crossed rifles behind a wheel. It could have been a Territorial Army, Militia or Volunteer unit.

Rod

post-1-1100855264.jpg

Guest rodmacarthur

Steve,

Thank you very much. I am sure you are correct. The badge does look exactly like the Pioneer Corps ones. I am ex-British Army myself but had never seen such a badge. My normal area of military history interest is Napoleonic but a kind friend on a Napoleonic forum directed me to this site. Sucess :D

Rod