The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help! Regiment numbers?

Guest Fiona Howie

Guest Fiona Howie

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could explain regiment numbers, I've been looking to try and find out anything about regt. No. 74493 Sam Walter Norton, he was a gunner and I got this info off the MIC!

If i can find information on someone else with that regiment number will that help me or am I barking up the wrong tree? I have found a few soldiers on the National Archive register with the same number but they all seem to be in different corps?

Also, what does 'mentioned in dispatches mean'? and can you look at what they did to get mentioned in it anywhere?

Thanks,

Fi

It isn't a regiment number, it is a regimental number.

Before the introduction of a common service number system throughout the British Army, each regiment or corps has its own. Therefore, Sam was gunner no 74493, while somebody else might be sapper no 74493 and so on. So, it was his personal service number.

It tells you nothing as such about which RA regiment(s) he might have been posted to, although there was some system as to how numbers were issued. This is not my field and someone with more expertise will need to tell you if more information can be gleaned from the number.

Fiona,

The only immediate remaining option with Sam Norton is to locate his Service Record (SR) at the national archives. There are no other sure ways of determining his battery. Do any othe rfamily memebrs have anything to offer clues?? ie postcards, stories etc etc.

Roop

Fiona

During a campaign, a commander in the field wrote back to his higher authority informing them what was happening - who had attacked who, how many casualties had been received, what was the effect of his latest manoeuvre etc. He also mentioned officers and soldiers who had carried out a gallant action or who rendered distinguished service. To be so mentioned was to have been "Mentioned in Despatches:.

The despatches were usually printed in the London Gazette, but up to the Great War, being mentioned in a despatch did not result in the officer or soldier receiving any visible mark (for example a medal) to show that he had been mentioned.

It was only after the Great War had finished that it was decided to issue a small bronze oakleaf to any officer or soldier who had been mentioned in a despatch. This emblem was usually worn on one of the medal ribbons that he had been awarded.

The London Gazette is available on line with a search facility.

Dave