The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

71st Siege Battery RGA

JustinL

Can anyone please tell me anything about the 71st Siege Battery RGA, which I believe was fomerly the 3rd battery of the South African Heavy Artillery?

Thanks.

Justin

Hi Justin

From the LLT (mother site) we have:

The Heavy Artillery was recruited in July 1915. 1st Battery came from West Cape; 2nd from East Cape; 3rd from the Transvaal, 4th from Kimberley and the 5th from Natal. The War Office in London decreed that it should be a 6 inch Howitzer Brigade. Later on the Batteries were renumbered. 1st became 73rd Siege Battery; 2nd became 74th; 3rd 71st; 4th 72nd and the 5th Battery became 75th Siege Battery.

Phil D WALLER - 2nd lt in South African Heavy Artillery (71st Siege Battery). Killed in action at Arras, France by shell fire 14/12/17. AGED 28.

WO 95/225 72 (South African) Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1917 Dec.

WO 95/225 74 (South African) Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 July - 1917 Dec.

WO 95/225 75 (South African) Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 June - 1917 Dec.

WO 95/542 73 (South African) Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 May - Oct.

A war diary for the 3rd or 71st is noit apparent at the NA.

Roop

Thanks, Roop.

I extracted the info and the 3rd brigade and the subsequent 71st siege battery from the excellent LLT site too.

Where did you find the reference to Phil Waller? That is an interesting coincidence.

My grandfather's brother, Roland Levy, was also a 2nd lieutenant in the 71st siege battery (I'm guessing about the 71st).

Regards,

Justin