The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Russian Revolution - Why it happened and its consequences? Book recomm

potty5

Dear forum members, a friend of mine is studying History at college and is currently doing "The Russian Revolution." Can anybody recommend a book on the subject please, which basically answers the questions "why did it start" and the consequences it had on the war. Thanks very much, Mark.

Hi Mark

I don't know the best text book, but for a well-researched fictional view of the era your friend could do worse than buy second-hand copies of "Three Lives for the Czar" and "My Kingdom for a Grave" by Stephanie Plowman.

Also worth a look would be Helen Rappaport's recent non-fiction "Conspirator: Lenin in exile" and "Ekaterinburg: the last days of the Romanovs" for some reading around the subject.

sJ

"The Russian Revolution R Pipes is a good book

Alan Morehead also has a book on the subject

Helen Rappaport is working on a book I believe Petrograd 1917 due out in 2017

There are all sorts of books on the Russian Revolution and Russia during the WW I period, some are online at archive.org and elsewhere.

It all depends how much detail you need. The standard text I think would be Orland Figes's A People's Tragedy. But coming in at nearly 1,000 pages it may prove a bit dense.

Other than that you could a lot worse than to get one by Robert Service, he's the leading expert on Russian twentieth century history. He should have one on the revolution.

Look at Churchill's World Crisis, and just browse through what he has to say about Russia in the pertinent chapters.

You will realise in a few seconds that the account is prodigiously biased ; but don't be deterred.....the narrative is very engaging and the style so compelling that you will be informed and entertained.

It's a good way of appreciating how the events impinged at the time.

Just trying to read one big book about it might prove too much

A brief skim through Churchill's accounts will be a very good jumping off point.

Phil (PJA )