The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

AEF Veteran Daniel Betz

dbetz

I was wondering if I could get some help looking for information on my great-great uncle and my namesake. He was from Loveland Colorado and he was a German from Russian immigrant. He was born in 1893 in Kansas and his family moved back to Russia when he was a baby. He and his brother (my great grandfather) came back to the United States in 1912. Since his was a citizen because of his birth, he was drafted and went to France to fight. I asked my grandfather (now 84) if he knew the division or regiment that he served in and I was told the 42nd division (Rainbow Division). He was gassed during the war and survived until 1976. I vaguely remember him and he always had a raspy voice which was attributed to the gassing. I am named after him and I would like to find some information. I have looked everywhere that I know on the net and so now I am asking for help, please?

Thank you very much!

Dan Betz

P.S.-I will not have net access all next week so if I don't reply I am not being rude. Thanks again.

Dan:

I found this in the Colorado Soldiers in WW1,1917-1918.

Hope this helps-I also found him on the 1930 census,and what I believe to

be him on the passenger list in 1913.

gordon

Given Name: Daniel

Surname: Betz

Branch: Infantry

Place: Loveland

Comments: Wounded.

From the 1930 census:

Name Home in 1930

(City,County,State) Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Race Relation to head-of-house

Daniel Betz Loveland, Larimer, CO abt 1895 Kansas White Head

Mollie Betz Loveland, Larimer, CO abt 1904 Wife

Viola M Betz Loveland, Larimer, CO abt 1925 Daughter

Violie F Betz Loveland, Larimer, CO abt 1925 Daughter

From the Passenger and Immigration List Index:

Name: Daniel Betz

Year: 1913

Place: Galveston, Texas

Source Publication Code: 4485.2

Primary Immigrant: Betz, Daniel

Annotation: Includes place of origin, and often, final destination.

Source Bibliography: KUHR, JO ANN. "Galveston Passenger Ship Lists." In Clues. 1982, pt. 2, pp. 29-31.

Page: 31

Wow! My grandpa did pretty well. He had a stroke a few years ago and I wasn't sure if he had his information right. All I remember of "Uncle Dan" was going to his house as a young child and sitting on his lap. He was really fond of me because of our shared name. I always ate oyster crackers at his house. My grandpa was telling me yesterday that Uncle Dan fought and was gassed in France and was recuperating in Paris when he was called back to the front lines to help fight against the Germans in the St. Mihel offensive. I don't know if this is right, though. It is kind of ironic how a German from Russia with chance US citizenship would have been drafted to go fight the Germans in France. He was much more fluent in German than in English (I still remember his strong accent and a very raspy voice).

Dan:

Glad I could help,anything else you need,just let me know!

That's what this site is all about-helping out!

Glad to have you as a member here on The Forum!

gordon