The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Which Gallipoli book?

northstar

I find OHs a bit too dry for an introduction so if it's your first foray into the campaign I'd stick with Peter Hart's Gallipoli for a pretty well balanced general history with plenty of eye-witness comments. It's also recent enough to have taken on board Turkish sources unavailable to the early histories.

Fifty years ago I bought myself Robert Rhodes James's book on Gallipoli.

Hardback, old fashioned British printing firm....it's a lovely thing to have on my shelves.

The paper retains a special quality, as does the texture of the photographic plates.

As for content : it's not remarkable ; but it does stand the test of time and is eminently readable.

I've got most of the other titles mentioned thus far on this thread -and one or two others besides - but this old fashioned book is the one that I most cherish.

Memories of Four Fronts by General Marshall, who assumed divisional command at Gallipoli, is a truly intriguing account.

Phil (PJA )

Phil, is that "Gallipoli: The History of a Noble Blunder" from 1965?

I'm currently looking at a used hardback of that 1965 edition for US$30 - worth it?

Not sure about the second part of that title....if it's by Robert Rhodes James, it might just be a local adaptation.

The date is certainly the same.

If it's the same book that I have - and I suspect that it is - I would endorse its value and recommend buying.

For some reason, the physical quality of the book, in terms of its old fashioned paper etc., lends it a special appeal.

The prose are good ; the narrative passes muster.

People who seek revisionism will find it pedestrian....but I cherish it.

Phil ( PJA )

I see two by him... the first is the one mentioned from 65. The other is from 74 and is an illustrated Gallipoli book with the subtitle "Grand Strategy".

Possible he's done two books on the one topic; maybe used bits of the 65 book for the second? It looks to be right up my street, style wise.

The 74 version is a reprint of the 65 original. So far as I know, it's not revised in any way.

Oh for sure, Phil, whenever I buy any old(er) book, I go for the hardback if one's available.

I find OHs a bit too dry for an introduction so if it's your first foray into the campaign I'd stick with Peter Hart's Gallipoli for a pretty well balanced general history with plenty of eye-witness comments. It's also recent enough to have taken on board Turkish sources unavailable to the early histories.

Thanks Phil. Seems like the best intro book and you can't go too far wrong with PH. I've ordered a secondhand copy & look forward to receiving it! I'll then look into the other books suggested...!

Here's a general, but good, review of the Carlyon book. Might not be quite what the OP is after, but it's certainly a good book in its own right.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/dec/14/history.highereducation

Thanks for sharing the review Rob!