The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Welsh regiment photo

Guest chrisj

Could anyone help with this picture please? My aunt found it, and I think it could possibly be my uncle John Benjamin Griffiths, but I haven't got a clue if his uniform/cap badge relates to the South Wales Borderers. Tried to look up on the web, but no luck so far. The cap badge looks to have three feathers, so I think it is a Welsh regiment. Would really appreciate any help, as it would be marvellous to put a picture to his name at last.

Thanks in anticipation,

Chris

post-1-1100974671.jpg

The old 41st Foot and the 69th Foot...The Welsh Regiment. Cap, shoulder title match. The crossed signal flags on his lower left sleeve indicates he was in the signals section or perhaps a qualified signaler.

South Wales Borderers had a sphynx within a wreath of laurels and roses with the initials "S.W.B." below.

DrB

:)

Thanks Dr.B, for your reply. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm a novice, does this mean he could be in 114th Infantry Brigade, (it states in CWGC that he was in 10th Bn., Welsh Regiment), or is this some other brigade ? I don't even know if this is my uncle or not, as I mentioned my aunt found the photo recently, he does look quite like my father at that age, but I can't identify him accurately any other way but by his uniform and badges. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks again, Chris

Chris

According to Soldiers who Died in The Great War, Pte John Benjamin Griffiths 34947 10th Bn. Welsh Regiment was born in Neath and enlisted in Neath. He was killed in action.

Myrtle

Chris...now it gets muddy.

The 43rd Div was renamed the 38th in April of '15 and he was in the 114th Brigade. Look for the 38th when reading about WWI.

The div was raised as a sop to Lloyd George who wanted a Welsh Corps.

His Bn was unofficially called the 1st Rhondda since it was recruited from the Rhondda Valleys. This Bn was disbanded in Feb of '18.

Hope this helps,

DrB

Simply put, several Battalions made up a regiment, but the regiment, as a whole, rarely served all together, often not even in the same geographical area.

Several battalions were grouped together as a Brigade.

Several Brigades were grouped together in a Division.

Several Divisions were grouped together in a Corps.

Several Corps were grouped together in an Army.

Several Armys were grouped together in an Army Group. (This last one didn't occur in WWI with the British)

DrB

;)

Myrtle,

Thank you very much for the info, I thought it might be too cheeky to ask someone to look this up for me, it was very kind of you to check for me. It means a lot to know that this is my uncle.

DrB,

And thank you very much too! You've explained in layman's terms so I finally understand something about how the Corps and Battalions operated. It's marvellous to finally have a face to put with the name. What a stroke of luck my aunt finding the photo! And also having the experts on this forum to answer the questions about it!

Regards,

Chris

Chris

It's good to be able to put a face to a name especially when it is a relative, however, unless there is a strong family resemblance be careful that it isn't a mate from the same battalion.

Regards

Myrtle