The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt. L.W. Read, Ist Bn Essex Reg, KIA 9 Dec 1916

Guest kotere

My great uncle transferred out of New Zealand forces where he had a "safe" HQ job into the Essex regiment in Egypt(?) or Gallipoli(?). He was killed on 9 Dec 1916 - my mother has always said at Les Boeufs but from what I've read the line had gone past Les Boeufs by December. She also said my grandfather found what he thought was a reference to his brother in some book relating to Essex Regiment but he was described at Canadian. I haven't been able to track this down. Lawrence Read was an acting Lieutenant at time of his death and is commemorated at Thiepval memorial. CWGC site does not provide his regimental no. or his age (22yrs).

Lawrence Read's war medal records at National Archives do not give any details of medals awarded. However there is a number NW/7/16091 mentioned - does anyone know what this is?

I know there is a copy of the regimental diary at Chelmsford and the original is at PRO, Kew. Can anyone please tell me what was happening around 9 Dec 1916 with the regiment?

Any help on any of the above would be appreciated.

Regards

"December opened with 1st Essex in the firing line in front of Lesboeufs, lying between Gueudecourt and Sailly Saillisel. Lieut. J.T. Broomfield was killed on the 1st, and on the 3rd the Battalion was relieved by the Royal Dublin Fuseliers and went to Bernafay Camp, thence to Carnoy, but it was back at Barnefay by the 7th, in readiness to relieve the Worcesters before Lesboeufs on the 8th. The trenches were in bad condition owing to the severe weather, and on the same day as the Battalion went into the line Lieut. L. W. Read was killed. On the 11th Essex was relieved by the 11th Rifle Brigade and marched to Carnoy, entraining for Ville on the 12th, where a draft of 447 reported."

Source: John Wm. Burrows, The Essex Regiment, 1st Battalion (44th) 1741 to 1919, page 106.

Looks like your mother and grandfather were quite right, don't know where 'Canadian'came from though.

Officers by the by were exempt from regimental numbers for some reason.

Hope this helps,

Michael

However there is a number NW/7/16091 mentioned - does anyone know what this is?

Was he an enlisted man at some point?

I am pretty sure that New Zealand officers had personal numbers, but I don't think British ones did.

Could the number be something to do with the document itself, rather than a personal number?

Hope this is of help,

Hugh.

In line with Hugh's thinking:

Lawrence Read's war medal records at National Archives do not give any details of medals awarded. However there is a number NW/7/16091 mentioned - does anyone know what this is?

Are you by chance referring to the Medal Index Card and have you downloaded it?

If that is the case, the number might refer to the actual Medal rolls. In theory your

great uncle should at least have qualified for a medal....I think.

Perhaps you should repost that part of your question under Documents, photo's, mmetings in particular under 'Interpreting Medal Index Cards. More chance of getting an answer I think, lots of clever experts running around there.

Good luck,

Michael