The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Irish Regiment

Guest caldhbreac

Guest caldhbreac

Some of my fathers Service records were mixed up with a soldier of the same name . My father was in The Connaught Rangers and the other was in The Royal Irish Regiment. I have not been successful in finding our where the Royal Irish Regiment served in 1915 and 1916. Any assistanc1e and inforamtion greatly appreciated

Michael McDonnell

Michael - check (1) 'The Long Long Trail' site which you will see above your 'logged in' name at the top of this page. It's a process of checking up which Btn. was with which Division etc but it will steer you in the right direction. Invaluable tool.

Plus .... Orange, Green and Khaki by Tom Johnstone will be available in most local studies libraries in Ireland. It is a very good walk-through guide to the actions fought by Irish Regts. in WW1.

Best wishes

Des

Guest 2contemptable

Michael,

See also 'Ireland's Unknown Soldiers: The 16th Irish Division in the Great War' by Terence Denman. This is an invaluable record of the contribution made by the men from Leinster, Munster and Connaught who served with the the various Irish regiments during WW1.

Regards

James