The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

age discrepancy

pol o frithil

to all members,

i am trying to clear up an age discrepancy. i have a photo of a fred weir with his father at time of enlistment. he is wearing a broderick cap. i been told by the museum in armagh that the hat was in service in 1904/1905. this makes fred weir 12 or 13 years old. but he looks about twenty. according to the official birth register from the parish he was born in , he was born 27th august 1892 ad died in 1956. the only way i think i can clear this up is if i could locate when the photographer that took the photo was in business. or when the photo was taken. is there any way you can tell by doing a test on the photo to find out how old it is.

pol

The Broderick was, as folks know, hated by the troops and was an official issue for only two years. BUT, I have seen pictures of OR's, especially in the Irish regiments, still wearing the thing in later pre-war years, so maybe you are not "off" at all.

This is a problem when trying to date a photo. Sometimes one can become mislead very easily.

Remember, the RMLI was still wearing the thing in its retreat from Antwerp. (But then, that was the RMLI)

DrB

;)