The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC book recommendations

conisbrough100

Hi all, looking for recommendations for books to do with the RAMC in WW1; diaries, journals, official histories and so on. Everything from regimental stretcher bearers (although they weren't actually RAMC) to CCSs and so on. I've read a fair few already but wondering if there are any more obscure recommendations?

I have found the post with the list of books, but wondering if anyone has a more obscure recommendation which aren't included on that list?

Turner Donovan have the following for sale:

237. A CORPORAL [Pseud. of CROFTS (John Henry Victor)] Field Ambulance Sketches. 1st Ed., 157pp. Lane (On Active Service series). 1919.

Excellent & very elusive account of front line medical work in the Ypres Salient &c. in 1917, published in John Lane’s acclaimed ‘On Active Service Series.’ Orig. cloth, blindstamped & blocked in blue, minor wear, VG with ink “F” stamps to half title & tp (ex-the famed lib. of RSM Finch), with colour illus. probably cut from front panel of dw, mounted on ffep

273. CROOP (Capt. J. Elmer, MD, MC, USA) Twenty Months with the British Army: A Personal Narrative by an American Medical Officer, of the Mud, the Blood, the Filth & Furious Fighting of Flanders. How the Author Won a Captaincy & the Coveted War Cross, With Which He Was Personally Invested by King George of England. 1st Ed., 136pp., portrait frontis, & another portrait (leaving Buckingham Palace after MC investiture). Erie, PA; No imprint/date (presumed privately published, c.1920s).

J. Elmer Croop was one of a number of American (MORC) Medical Officers who volunteered to serve with the BEF when there was a shortage of doctors. He embarked for England in August 1917 at New York, was posted to the 57th Fd. Ambulance near Ypres in November, then to the 8th Glosters as RMO for most of 1918. Interesting, detailed & very rare account of his active service. Orig. apple green cloth, titled in black to front board. See illustration on our website.

Here are some online links, copied from various FIBIS Fibiwiki pages

History of the Great War: Medical Services; General History by G W Macpherson Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3 includes Egypt and Palestine, Volume 4 includes Mesopotamia, Gallipoli, Salonika, East Africa. Published 1921-1924. Archive.org

Other books in this series: Medical Services: Diseases of the War Volume I, Volume II; Medical Services: Surgery of the War Volume I, Volume II; Medical Services: Pathology 1922-1923 Archive.org

Memoranda on some medical diseases in the Mediterranean war area, with some sanitary notes HMSO 1916

Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps Archive.org. The "Corps News" is not indexed, but appears as a separate section at the back of each monthly edition.

Volume 25, Jul –Dec 1915

Volume 25 Index

1 (Jul)

Corps News

2 (Aug)

Corp News

3 (Sep)

Corps News

5 (Nov)

Corps News

Volume 30, Jan—Jun 1918

Volume 30 Index

2 (Feb)

Corps News

3 (Mar)

Corps News

4 (Apr)

Corps News

5 (May)

Corps News

6 (Jun)

Corps News

Volume 31, Jul-Dec 1918

Volume 31 Index

1 (Jul)

Corps News

2 (Aug)

Corps News

3 (Sep)

Corps News

4 (Oct)

Corps News

6 (Dec)

Corps News

With the R.A.M.C. in Egypt by Serjeant-Major, R.A.M.C 1918 Archive.org

A vision of the possible; what the R.A.M.C. might become; an account of some of the medical work in Egypt together with a constructive criticism of the R.A.M.C by James W Barrett, Temporary Lieut-Col RAMC 1919

Cheers

Maureen

In case these aren't on :

G.Davidson's 'The Incomparable 29th & the River Clyde' (on line)

Rev. O.Creighton 'With the Twenty-Ninth Division in Gallipoli'

M.J.Lucas 'Frontline Medic' (diary of Captain G.S. Pirie RAMC)

Scotland & Heys'War Surgery 1914-18'

Michael

IF YOU CAN GET IT,a good one to read :thumbsup:
the long carry journal of a stretcher bearer

by frank w Dunham

pergamon press

Biffo :poppy:

The Medical War: British Military Medicine in the First World War by Prof Mark Harrison is a meticulously researched book.

Such a pity that over five years it's remained so expensive and out of the range of most people's pockets.

Such a pity that over five years it's remained so expensive and out of the range of most people's pockets.

I assume you have a copy. If you dont, I have both his books (WWII as well) and I would be more that happy to look anything up. alternatively being also West Sussex (Witterings) you can borrow it as I hardly use it. Worth every penny though!... MG

My pockets are definitely not deep enough to own a copy, neither was it possible in the past to borrow it on inter-library loan. A kind offer Martin, though I've learnt over time to live without certain items. I just find it extraordinary that it's remained so costly over such a long period - I don't see what's to be gained by excluding so many people and in effect restricting access to university libraries (and you!).

Sue