The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Did not receive Medals

Hugh Pattenden

Hi,

Does anyone know how many officers were put in for decoration but were denied it because they had died in the action or of wounds resulting later?

Does anyone have any good examples?

Many thanks,

Hugh.

Hugh the problem with Awards that were disallowed due to death is probably that there is no record,unless in the Battalion War Diary that they had been gallant or they were MiD instead,which apart from the VC was the only "Allowable" Phostumous award,@ that time

There's another thread on this worth looking up... Harry is right in that only the VC and a MiD could be awarded posthumously however this doesn't apply to other awards if the recipient was subsequently KIA or DOW. A soldier who lived long enough for Haig to sign the award approval would get his medal, if subsequently killed or even dying of wounds sustained in the action then the award would go to his next of kin is my understanding. Given that awards were not often gazetted or awarded for months after they had been 'won', there are numerous cases of men not living to pick up a gong. Try cross referencing a few Gazettes with the CWGC site to see what I mean.

Thanks all.

Here is the Military Cross citation as written for one Second Lieutenant D. N. C. Ross of the R.F.A.

'On the morning of the 30th Nov. [1917] D. Battery 46th Brigade R.F.A. was heavily shelled and a large dump of charges was set on fire. Seeing this Lieut Ross left cover and under severe shell fire extinguished the flames. He then collected his men and led them to cover, shortly after which another one of the ammunition dumps was blown up and Lieut Ross was wounded. This young officer who has only been about three and a half months in France has during that time continually displayed great courage. The example set by his cheerfulness and coolness under fire has very materially added to the efficiency of his Battery.’

Second Lieutenant Ross died that day and as such was not eligable for the MC having died in the action in which he would have won it: his OC makes it clear that his death made it impossible for the award to be awarded.

To quote from a letter to his parents: '. If he had lived I think he would have got a Military Cross. I enclose the recommendation that I put in as I think you would perhaps like to have it, though I fear it is but poor consolation to you in your great loss, in which you have my sincerest sympathy. '

It seems somewhat unfair doesn't it?

Hugh.

It Was Unfair,in as much as by WW2 All Decorations & Medals For Gallantry could be awarded Phostumously.

Why were they the only ones that could be awarded posthumoustly?

Dave

That was just the Ruling @ the time,in effect you couldn't reward Dead Heroes,awards were for the Living,By WW2 The rules had changed.