The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Best books on the Somme?

dunmore1774

I want to study up on the battles of the Somme. I would like to start with an overall history with strategy, units, actions. Then I would like to read more "from the trenches". What books would members recommend? Thanks for any advice. Doug

William Philpott's "Three Armies on the Somme". Excellent book. Also published as 'Bloody Victory" if you want the UK version. Some say the UK version is better since it has another 100 or so pages of text. Can't say myself which, if, either, is better since I only have one of them:)

Here's a link to the US version.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Armies-Somme-Twentieth-Century/dp/0307278379

Martin Middlebrooks' 'The First Day of the Somme' is the first book I read on the Somme and would be a good introduction. Definitely a 'from the trenches' book.

There is a thread somewhere about books on the Somme.

Scott

I found the Prior and Wilson book very good!

TT

If you want a straightforward introduction to the Somme (with the usual problem that the later fighting gets too little coverage), Farrar-Hockley's The Somme is not bad and you should be able to get it second hand quite easily, I would have thought.

John Harris' Covenant with Death. Essential reading even if it is fiction.

"The Somme" by Prof. Gary Sheffield is a really good concise book on the battle and all its phases. The battle lasted from July to mid November of course, and there was so much more to it than just the first day. The book has around 200 pages, and has photos, maps and Allied and German orders of battle, and copies can still be had for a pound or two on Amazon Here.

William

A new one to the party which covers the first day. Worth a read.

post-100478-0-91698500-1448910175_thumb.

If you want a straightforward introduction to the Somme (with the usual problem that the later fighting gets too little coverage), Farrar-Hockley's The Somme is not bad and you should be able to get it second hand quite easily, I would have thought.

It is being republished by the History Press in June 2016.

Charles M

Not restricted to the Somme in its entirety but in my humble opinion the best "from the trenches" narrative, "The War the Infantry Knew" Auth. Capt. J. C. Dunn. A classic, everyone should have a copy of this book in their collection.

51fIfV0iwML._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Not restricted to the Somme in its entirety but in my humble opinion the best "from the trenches" narrative, "The War the Infantry Knew" Auth. Capt. J. C. Dunn. A classic, everyone should have a copy of this book in their collection.

51fIfV0iwML._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hang on! The question was about the best book on the battle of the Somme.

But if the question is changed to "what is the single best contemporary book to come out of the war?" or indeed "what single book would you choose to hold on to if a freak tidal-wave should happen to sweep away your entire book collection?" then I too am going for Dunn's The War the Infantry Knew, although I might, in addition, take considerable risks in trying to grab "The Wipers Times" if it floated by.....

William

Right....some of the suggestions above really aren't the best.

If you read only one book on the Battle of the Somme then make it William Philpott's Bloody Victory. The last word will never be said on the battle, but he comes the closest to saying it.

By 'from the trenches' I assume you mean something with accounts from the soldiers. Martin Middlebrook is good, but it only focuses on the first day, and the British effort. There's also Jack Sheldon's The Germany Army on the Somme 1914-16, although it can be a bit dry it gives an excellent account of the strain placed on the German Army during the battle. It also includes French attacks in 1914 and 1915.

Peter Hart's book covers the entire battle up to November and draws from his work in the sound archive at the IWM, so there are lots of extracts from the men themselves.

Gary Sheffield's book is a concise overview at about 200 pages with lots of pictures and maps. However, it too only really focuses on the British effort.

I can't recommend Bloody Victory enough. Read it.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Now, I just the time (and shelf space) to read them all! I'll pass titles along to my wife and daughter and see what Santa Clause brings me later in the month :)

I have read The War the Infantry Knew, and can say that is exactly what I meant by "from the trenches".

I'll look into The Wipers Times as well. The title alone sounds intriguing.

After a hard days at the screen researching, how about some bedtime reading.

"Her Privates We" by Frederic Manning. Although a novel Manning had plenty of trench experience and the scenes he sets seem so accurate. It's a WW1 classic.

I seem to remember "Generals die in bed" being worth a read also, can't think of the author.

Want to get away from the computer for a couple of weeks?

"Before endeavours fade" by rose coombs is a fabulously detailed driving guide around the battlefields. Every back lane of note is listed, the kind of stuff most of us would miss.

All you need now is a hire car and a copy of the book!

Simon

I would have to agree with the suggestion of Philpotts "Three Armies on the Somme". A balanced view that covers the campaign in its entirety.

Five 'from the trenches' books , every one a classic (IMHO) and everyone available as a cheap reprint.

1. Twelve Days , Sidney Rogerson

2. A Subaltern on the Somme, 'Mark Seven' (Max Plowman)

3. Somme Harvest, Giles E. M Eyre

4.When the Somme ran Red , A.R Dugmore

5. Up to Mametz , L.W Griffith

Couldn't agree more. My copy (in the old "British Battles" series from Pan) cost me about 35p (new) * and still gets dusted off every so often.

* I was obviously only about 5 when I bought it.

(BTW, Mr Cave: how did you get on with For God and Kaiser? I finished it last week and posted my thoughts).

Couldn't agree more. My copy (in the old "British Battles" series from Pan) cost me about 35p (new) * and still gets dusted off every so often.

* I was obviously only about 5 when I bought it.

(BTW, Mr Cave: how did you get on with For God and Kaiser? I finished it last week and posted my thoughts).

Glad you agree about the F-H - for a 'beginner' to the Somme I think it will suit - it has stood the test of time remarkably well - in so far as it goes.

Re For God and Kaiser: alas, I have been (and am still) on the road and have not brought it with me, though I have read considerably more of it since my last comment on the Forum; as you say in your review, it is a book that is well enough structured to be able to put down as necessary and then pick up when time is available.

I think it is an important book, well written by one who is well versed in his subject - not easy, given the complexities and nature of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. For perfectly understandable reasons, Au-H's part in the war is not all that attractive to British (and I suspect anglophone in general) readers. This is something of a shame as it can impact on people's judgement on decisions made at the higher levels of the war's conduct in the various warring capitals. The combatant nations would have been all too aware of the significance of the Au-H fronts; and of Au-H's own political concerns prior to the war. We all need to be wary of an exclusively Western Front approach (or even if extended to theatres of British military activity) in our study of the First World War.

For the interested general reader this book provides a most interesting journey through the tortuous development of the much misunderstood Austrian Empire through the study of her multi-ethnic army. As by far the most accessible book on the subject and given its broad sweep coverage over three hundred years , I would strongly recommend this book to those whose interests lie on the Western Front but are keen to have an understanding of Au-H and its concerns and the impact of the Au-H efforts on the wider conduct of the war.

I shall let you know my final thoughts on the book when I get it finished - but can say that I concur with everything that you say in your review. When I have finished it I shall probably start reading it all over again, but this time with a notebook handy. The reading will be no chore and the contents are stimulating.

Call me old fashioned if you like but I still think Lyn McDonalds.....Somme ...... is well worth reading!