The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian in US Army - Casualty buried in Canada

southafricawargraves

Hi all,

Have a pic of a Canadian (I assume) that served with a US unit in WW1. Buried in Regina cemetery, Saskatchewan. Anyone have any details of death or know where I can get info?

See pic.

post-1-1101096559.jpg

I live in Regina and will make some informal inquires regarding the grave site and possibly cause of death.

What additional information can you provide regarding this soldier Pte. Victor E. Hurd?

Juice: ABMC only lists those casualties buried in one of their cemetaries. He's probably buried elsewhere.

The Pioneer Infantry were a WWI creation; formed from line Infantry Battalions / Regiments and then assigned to Corps as Corps troops. I think the 57th was made up largely of a Tennessee infantry regiment which was excess to requirements of the 30th Division. They were supposed to disband in July 1918 and re-flag as an Infantry unit but did not.

Yours

Kevin

Hi guys,

The only info I have is what is on the headstone.

US soldiers could be sent home if the family so requested it. Roughly 60% of those families did have the remains repatriated thus the reason is he isn't on AMBC and the reason why he can't be found on the ABMC website.

This is a headstone, same pattern as the CWGC headstones in the Regina cem. Odd stone I know but is what they use there. Find this style quite a lot actually throughout Saskatchewan, the headstone guy must have cleaned house on a good deal with a lot of municipalites or CWGC for war grave stones.

Borden if you live in Regina, it is the big cem in town he is in the soldier's WW1 plot. Call during the day during the week to inquire. I'd like to know N-O-K details or anything that they can provide.

While you are at it can you ask about a:

Sgt.

D. J. Irvine

USAAF

Died Apr. 29, 1944

Age 20 years.

Same cem. I'm sure he died in a plane crash in the US. Like to kknow full name, N-O-K, etc.

That's for the help mate.

R.

Here's another guy. Buried in Prince Albert (South Hill) Cemetery, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Any details?

post-1-1101269005.jpg