The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Best books on 1st July 1916

Timbob1001

Hi all

Could anyone recommend any good books on the above - especially the sector where the 4th Division (particularly the Somersets) were engaged?

Thanks

Tim

• Admin

Martin Middlebrook First Day On The Somme. Features a CSM of the 1st Somersets

Michelle

The Official History is a must. There are or will be several new books on July 1. 'Elegy' by Andrew Roberts has already been published,and next year, books by Robert Kershaw and Andrew Macdonald will be issued. Other than Roberts' book got a lukewarm reception on the Forum, there is no view yet on the other two,though the blurb on Amazon re Macdonald suggests it's a 'lions led by donkeys' effort.

If you are after real detail on 4th Div go for "Slaughter On The Somme 1 July 1916" this is the compendium of complete war diaries of units involved. A resume of Corps and Div but real detail on the battalions.

For even more and a better general picture try "Z Day 1/7/16 - The Attack Of The VIII Corps at Beaumont Hamel And Serre". A mighty tome and very very detailed. You won't get more on 4th Div than this. By Alan McDonald.

All the rest will give you general stuff to differing degrees but if it's 4th Div they are a must.

TT

BTW Elegy did not impress me. Very lightweight.

TT

The blurb for MadDonald's makes it look bloody awful

Alan McDonalds books are superbly detailed and well written. He has his views on The higher command but believe me they take nothing from a superb narrative. He has written three mighty tomes now. All A1!

TT

Alan McDonalds books are superbly detailed and well written. He has his views on The higher command but believe me they take nothing from a superb narrative. He has written three mighty tomes now. All A1!

TT

There may be a misunderstanding here. I think the upcoming 1 July book is by a different Alan Macdonald, an Australian (?) writer.

Sorry. My misunderstanding.The upcoming book is by Andrew not Alan Macdonald.

Mate, to this I have to add Dr (now Professor) William Philpott's 'Bloody Victory', which places the Somme firmly in the context of the wider war and gives much overdue and justifiable focus on the French forces, their commanders, and the very difficult operation of coalition warfare without ever taking away the painful and heroic narrative of British, Irish, Australian, New Zealand, Indian and South African units on those now so-special fields and woodlands