The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

K.O.Y.L.I. Regiments

Hi all.

I am trying to find out where my Grandfather was during the 1914-1918 war.

Unfortunately he never ever spoke one word about his time in the KOYLI to anybody even his wife when he returned home, as I suppose many others didn't either.

His name was John W Sheppard, and from his medal card it shows his Regiment number as 46441 and he received both the Victory and British medals.

I am trying to find out which Battalion or battle group he was fighting with and also the battles that he may have taken part in.

Anything would be of help.

Thanks

Just to add, he came from the Goole area of Yorkshire and could maybe have enlisted at Doncaster.

And his Medal Roll No. 0/2/103/B20/2423

Nickno

Welcome to the forum!

A lot of the information you need is contained on The Long, Long Trail web site – there is a link to it at the top left of this page.

If you look in ‘Grandad’s War’ this will give you some pointers for discovering more about your Grandfather’s service.

The actual medal rolls will be a good starting point. These should identify which Battalion he served with. The medal index card you already have holds the key to the rolls but this will require a visit to the National Archives as the rolls are not on-line.

Good luck.

Mark