The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War Diary 1st Bn King's Company

nellys

I know they were near to Meaulte, can anyone be more specific??

My GG(?G) Uncle Thomas Smith no. 23494. Born 1895 in Hardingswood, Kidsgrove, Staffordshire was a miner before enlisting in March 1916 at Stoke on Trent, as a Guaurdsman.

He arrived on the western front, post Decemcer 1915 (no star) and was wounded in March of 1916. I presume he returned to his company prior to/during The Somme offensive and was ?wounded again on or around 21st November 1916.

I have already had lots of information and advice from posting here, thanks to all!

I am seeking more info. re his movements during November prior to his fatal wound?.

I presume he went to Grove town casualty clearing station and died there, being buried in Grove town Cemetry.

His CWGC entry lists him as being a Lance Corporal (Kings Company) age around 24 but he was 21.

Any further info appreciated, I now have to explain all this to my Dad and Great Aunts (Thomas' nieces!)

N.B. (local newspaper (Weekly Sentinel) reported that he died of wounds recieved in action on March 15th????, in Nov???) any answers??

Nel