The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Col Alexander John Fife.

Bob Coulson

Would anyone have come across this gentleman who is listed as died in February 1917.

Can't seem to find his connection with the Yorkshires.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Bob.

Hi again Bob,

Quite a lengthly obituary in the Green Howards Gazette March 1917:-

"Lt Col Alexander John FIFE who died suddenly in a Base Hospital from heart failure following an attack of pneumonia, resided at Langton Hall, Northallerton.

He was born in 1880, the elder son of the late Major William Henry FIFE-COOKSON, [9th Lancers], of Lee Hall, Northumberland. He entered the Army in 1899, served for 11 years in the King's Royal Rifles. He saw active service in South Africa where he was severely wounded in the head; and was subsequently Aide-de-Camp to Lord GREY when Governor General of Canada.

Retiring with the rank of Capt on the death of his father, Capt FIFE took keenly to agriculture.

On the outbreak of the War, Capt FIFE was gazetted to the Local Territorials [4th Yorks Regt] as a Major on 5th Sept 1914, and on 29 May 1916 was appointed to command a Group Machine Gun Training Centre, with the temporary rank of Lt Col. He was appointed a Battalion Commander in the Machine Gun Corps on 4th Sept 1916 and went to the FRONT in November.

Lt Col FIFE was married in 1915 to Mary Aileen, eldest daughter of Mr E.H. Courage, of Kirkby Fleetham Hall, bu whom he left two infant boys."

Hope this assists.

Ian.

Hi Bob,

Being a collector of medals to the Green Howards I have most of their books and quite a lot of the Green Howards Gazettes from 1893 to 1950, although they are far from complete. I do have them all for the Great War period.

If I can assist with any more of your queries, please let me know.

Ian.

Ian,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here but do you have any info on HAROLD MORRIS THOMAS

Second Lieutenant

1/4 Yorkshire Regiment, 150th Brigade, 50th Division.

KIA Friday 10 November 1916.

Husband of the late Elizabeth Thomas.

1913 lived at Rosleigh Wycar Bedale & was secretary of Bedale Rifle Club. He is commemorated on Bedale war memorial

Killed during attack on Butte d’ Warlencourt. WARLENCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY Pas de Calais, France.

Thanks,

Roger.

Hi Roger,

Second Lt Harold Morris THOMAS, killed in action 11th November 1916 received his commission in 'our Territorials' on 17th June 1915, and after serving for some time in the Second Line, was posted to a unit at the Front.

He was the eldest son of Mr W.R. Thomas of The Elms West, Sunderland, formerly for many years Manger of Messrs. Backhouse's Bank, Sunderland.

Not as much detail in this obituary.

[Green Howards Gazette December 1916]

Ian.

Ihate to contradict as eminent a source as the Green Howards, but he could not have been a 'Machine Gun Battalion commander' in 1916; MGC battalions only began to be formed around March 1918. Without notes, he could have been a Divisional Machnie Gun Officer (DMGO)

Hi Ian.

Sorry for this, another jump in on the thread. Any info on;

Lt. C.G. Weston.

Killed in Action, 1/11/15, 7th Battalion, at Hooge?

Any info much appreciated.

Regards, Chris.

Hi Chris,

I have checked the GHG's from November 1915 to August 1916 and unfortunately there is no mention of your man??

He is however mentioned in the 'Green Howards 1914-1919 by WYLLY:-

"The month of November [1915] passed tolerably quietly, but on the 1st, Lt. C.G. WESTON was killed while in charge of a working party in the rear trenches at HOOGE"

Ian.

Thankyou very much for looking that up for me Ian.

By way of coincidence in the village where I grew up there lived was a Colonel & Mrs Backhouse who were a part of the banking family. What he was Colonel of I don't know but I remember even his wife called him The Colonel.

Cheers,

Roger.

I’ve found another snippet of information that may be of interest.

Tuesday April 6th 1915 D Company 4/Yorkshire Regt. commanded by Major A. J. Fife, carried out a recruitment march from their HQ in Northallerton through Wensleydale to Hawes. They returned to Northallerton Saturday10th April.

A more detailed account can be found in Wensleydale Remembered by Keith Taylor,

Roger.