The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

23 Siege Battery R.G.A.

Guest alicad1

I hope someone maybe able to help me in my search for information on my Grandfather who served in WW1.

The only information I have is that he was a Bombardier for The Royal Garrison Artillery and on his Medal Card it states 23 Siege Battery to whom I can find no reference whatsoever.

If you can enlighten me to whom they were attached or any information sites I can look at I would be most grateful. I do believe he was injured which finished his army time but the document doesn't state why only a code.

P:392(XV1)KR.S 2 (A)l I think it says

He was Daniel Joseph Linehan, Enlisted 1.9.14 Discharged 5.2.19

I believe he was injury by a "Heavy" gun hitting him in the leg.

I really would be very grateful if you can give me any leads at all.

I live in West Wales so Kew is a long way for me at present.

Thank you

23346.pdf

According to the Order of Battle, November 11th, 1918, 23 Siege Battery were part of 30th Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery, 1st Army, and their guns were four 6 inch howitzers.

I recommend that you go onto the website 'The Long Long Trail'.

This will tell you about the Artillery and about 1st Army.

SEAN

Sean

Thank you so much, I have spent several night searching the internet and found no reference to the Siege Battery.

I now hope to find out their movements, locations, battle involvements throughout WW1 My mother is thrilled that we are finding out so much (she is now in her 70's)

Thank you again

Alison

Alison:

"P:392" is that paragragh in the King's Regulation that deals with discharging other ranks. The portion of the paragraph you quote: "P:392(XV1)KR." refers to soldiers who are discharged because they are "no longer physically fit for war service."

23rd Siege Battery, RGA went out to the Western Front with 25th Heavy Artillery Brigade on 20 Aug 15. At the time it was armed with four 6" Howitzers (30 cwt). On 5 Apr 16 it joined Left Group XI Corps Heavy Artillery and on 20 Apr 16 it transferred to Lorings Group of the Anzac Heavy Artillery. It transferred to 4th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) on 14 May 16; to 36th HAG on 5 Jul 16; and to Fifth Army Artillery School on 25 Nov 16. It rejoined 36th HAG in Jan 17; transferred to 45th HAG on 5 Feb 17; to 2nd HAG on 30 Mar 17; to 23rd HAG on 6 Sept 17; to 35th HAG to 22 Sep 17; to 66th HAG on 9 Nov 17; and to 30th Brigade, RGA on 21 December 1917.

Unfortunately the War Diary of 23rd Siege Battery, RGA has not been located and to the best of my knowledge no unit history has been published for the battery.

Regards. Dick Flory

Sean wrote:

According to the Order of Battle, November 11th, 1918, 23 Siege Battery were part of 30th Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery, 1st Army, and their guns were four 6 inch howitzers.

Sean's statement is completely true for 11 November 1918, but it must be remembered that Siege Batteries and Heavy Batteries in the RGA in the period 1914 to late 1917 changed from one brigade (Heavy Artillery Group) to another on a regular basis, often in as short a period as a few days, as the mililtary situation changed. It was only after late 1917 that the situation stabilized and that these batteries were permanently assigned to a particular brigade for the remainder of the war. Dick Flory