The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Capt A H Thomas 10th Lancashire Fus

Cymro

I am trying to find out more about Captain A H Thomas who was commanding A Coy of the 10th Lancashire Fusiliers 1915-1916. He later went on to become a distinguished historian and President of the British Archeological Association 1938-45. Apparently he's in the Who's who of the day. My interest is in Welshmen who served on the Western Front and I'm trying to find out if Thomas (as the name suggests) was indeed a welshman. I dont know what his initials stand for even! If there is anyone who has come across Thomas in their research or has the 10th Battalion history (if one exists), I'd be very grateful for any further information on this interesting character.

Many thanks indeed.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Your man was called ARTHUR HERMANN THOMAS, Born Newton Heath, Lancashire on 5 April 1877. NOT A WELSHMAN.

Served as a Major in the Lancs Fus in the Great War.

From Who's Who 1948.

Ian.

Ian, John,

Many thanks indeed for the look-up. The chap's not a Welshman despite the name then (poor guy, didnt know what he was missing ! ;)

Many thanks again

Jonathan

Jon, he was reported missing as company commander of A Coy (As a captain) in the Action of the Bluff (14/2/16) but back in action next day. Phil B

10th Battalion LF were unofficially known as the Bury Pals. There is no battalion history as such but I can look up any particular dates in the regimental history. Incidentally 10th LF are the battalion featured in the Imperial War Museum 'Trench Experience' (or were when I last visited about 10 years ago)

I have been flicking through Fred Hodges memoir Men of 18 in 1918. Hodges spent most of his time in A company, but I've only found mention of his platoon officer so far. Watch this space...

Plenty of people who consider themselves Welsh were not actually born or brought up in Wales e.g. a good number of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in the First World War who were men of Welsh descent from Birmingham. (Like my great-uncle Cyril Evans, whose photo appears as my avatar).

Thanks evryone - absolutely right Mark - look at Lloyd George for example, born in Manchester and a Welsher Welshman you couldn't have met I'm sure! :D

J