The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charleys War re released

TimCatherall

I'm not sure how many of you will have heard of Charleys War but its inclusion in a comic in the late seventies/early eighties first awaken my interest in WW1. Its much more than the standard gung ho boys war comic stuff. It follows the story of Private Charley Bourne from the Somme to the end of the war and beyond. Superb drawn and written. Have a look at the fans website - believe me its worth it.

Charleys War

Tim,

If you do a search you will see that many of us bow at the shrine of old Charley. It has been discussed at length but thanks for the heads up on release.

regards

Arm.

Ah - I didn't search back far enough doh! I can see the posts now. Great to see people remember it and love it. I thought I would flag up the re release as Titan have stated that they may reprint more depending on the sales. So spread the word! :D Also the web site carries a review of the book and it is more than just a reprint. I've ordered my copy from Amazon.

I've just placed my order, 1 copy for me and 1 for my boy. :P

The best deal that I've seen is from "Book Fellas"...............£12.14 inc postage.

Charley's War purchase link to Book Fellas

The book is available now but Amazon have a 4 to 6 week delay (and I can't wait that long!).

Really Glad I spotted this thread, I was only thinking about Charley Bourne the other day...............................................

Just one quick query, is this novel the complete story, or just between June & August 1916? The only reason I ask is so that I know whether to save up for future volumes. Gonna have to catch the girlfriend in a good mood, & persuade her it is a great idea for Xmas.

Cheers

Mark

The best deal that I've seen is from "Book Fellas"...............£12.14 inc postage.

Doh...............I wished I'd logged onto the forum before the Amazon site this evening........... :blink: ...............ah well I'll just have to sit tight & wait the 4-6 weeks for my copy to arrive

Essexboy68 Posted on Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:16:35 +0000

Really Glad I spotted this thread, I was only thinking about Charley Bourne the other day...............................................

Just one quick query, is this novel the complete story, or just between June & August 1916? The only reason I ask is so that I know whether to save up for future volumes. Gonna have to catch the girlfriend in a good mood, & persuade her it is a great idea for Xmas.

Cheers

Mark 

Mark........It's just the story to August 1916. By my reckoning the whole story would take up at least a dozen such sized books.............best get saving now :lol:

My books arrived from Bookfellas in the post the next day :)

And the book is excellent........... :P

I just ordered it from Amazon (before I'd read this thread), and it said the date of despatch would be 1st December. If that is correct, hopefully they've got a new batch in.

SteveB

Well.............the 4-6 weeks I was quoted for delivery has turned into 6 days :D ..............my copy turned up this morning..............a nostalgic meander down the memory lane of my youth was undertaken for the majority of the evening

My copy came yesterday too. Its even better than I remember it :D I like the added features too. Now we need to persuade them to reprint the whole story!

• 1 year later...

For your information, volume 3 of Charley's War is now out. I picked up my copy yesterday and it's a rattling good read. Also, it says in the back that volume 4 will be out in October 2007!

• 2 weeks later...
For your information, volume 3 of Charley's War is now out. I picked up my copy yesterday and it's a rattling good read. Also, it says in the back that volume 4 will be out in October 2007!

Where did you get hold of a copy? In the UK all the websites I've looked at have it down as a 20th October release?

Cheers

Got both my volumes from Amazon last year,great value at £8.00 each,i will have to start ordering the Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper Books next. :D.Just checked out Amazon,Charleys War Vol 3 is available from the 20th of this Month priced £8.99.

Hi folks,

If you pre-order Charley no.3 via this link to Amazon, the GWF will receive a donation from Amazon in return:

Charleys War PART 3 on Amazon

• 3 weeks later...

Damn my inexperience I started a thread on this and I had not seen this thread oh well just to reiterate as I can see a lot of people hold Charley's war in high regard which I thinkis great, it started me out on the long long trail I currently find myself on in regards to the Great war and study in History. Looking forward to passing them on to my son when he can read them (got to persuade the wife that it is suitable reading for kids) "never did me any harm" :unsure: ha ha

I have the 3 volumes all ordered through amazon took about a fortnight to receive fantastic read and illustrations, feel as though you right there alongside Charley, Can't wait till next October :)

• 11 months later...

Just to let everyone know (if you don't know already), that the 4th book of the series is out. I bought my copy yesterday.

This volume doesn't have a time line for a title, it's called Blue's Story.

• 10 months later...

I've just picked up the 5th volume of Charley's War, and it's early. It has the publishing date as October 2008 on the inside! This installment is titled: Return to the Front.

Got both my volumes from Amazon last year,great value at £8.00 each,i will have to start ordering the Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper Books next. :D.Just checked out Amazon,Charleys War Vol 3 is available from the 20th of this Month priced £8.99.

Ha! As any fule kno, "The VC's" is the best of the collected 2000 AD series.

Oddly enough, nobody mentioned Charley when I asked about essential WW1 books on another thread. Additional book added to archive!