The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battleground Europe

berty199

Anymore Battleground Europe books in the pipeline anyone?

Cheers

Martin

Pen & Sword doesnt have any in its "forthcoming releases"

By the by, I'm currently writing a battalion history and am toying with the idea of including an appendix that would be something of a "touring the battlefield", as the Battleground books do.

Verdun - the Left Bank ... by Christina Holstein (February 29 2016)

Dave

Pen & Sword doesnt have any in its "forthcoming releases"

By the by, I'm currently writing a battalion history and am toying with the idea of including an appendix that would be something of a "touring the battlefield", as the Battleground books do.

Thanks John, good luck with the book!

Regards

Martin

It would be good if they updated their existing Somme guides as some of these are getting on for 20 years old now.

Yores 1914: Messines came out just before Christmas.

Indeed, over twenty years ago that the first one came out (in the small format) - Sanctuary Wood and Hooge. I had a good look at one of the Somme ones recently and actually it has stood the test of time remarkably well - but, agreed, they could do with a revise when they come up for reprinting. The first few are rather difficult to do, in the sense they were published in the old 'cut and paste' setting days: from Vimy Ridge onwards they were computer set and should be much easier to correct - typos, changes in facilities and so forth. So, point taken.

Yep, there are a few Somme ones to be done, amongst other areas: some are currently being dealt with but that still leaves a large number of possible titles available.

High Wood area needs to be done.

Gueduecourt too. The joint Flers Gueduecourt hardly deserves the title given the lack of coverage.

TT

Tim , agree, retirement project??

Tony

High Wood area needs to be done.

It is on the way.

Gueduecourt too. The joint Flers Gueduecourt hardly deserves the title given the lack of coverage.

TT

Gueuedecourt - or possibly a wider one that would include a chunk of the Transloy Ridge, would be a possibility; as also Les Boeufs.

Yores 1914: Messines came out just before Christmas.

Indeed, over twenty years ago that the first one came out (in the small format) - Sanctuary Wood and Hooge. I had a good look at one of the Somme ones recently and actually it has stood the test of time remarkably well - but, agreed, they could do with a revise when they come up for reprinting. The first few are rather difficult to do, in the sense they were published in the old 'cut and paste' setting days: from Vimy Ridge onwards they were computer set and should be much easier to correct - typos, changes in facilities and so forth. So, point taken.

Yep, there are a few Somme ones to be done, amongst other areas: some are currently being dealt with but that still leaves a large number of possible titles available.

Thanks for the update Nigel - it's good to hear that more titles are on the way

Regards

Martin

Great news re High Wood , when is it due?

Tony

Thanks Nigel , look forward to that!

Tony

Me too - I just re-watched "Walking the Somme Part 2" and my appetite is truly whetted!

3rd Division's attack on Zonnebeke village, Zonnebeke Station and "Hill 40" in 3rd Ypres on 26th September 1917 is an obvious gap in the Battlefield Europe series. It would have fitted nicely as a chapter in the Polygon Wood volume, as an action on the left of the Australians on 26th September 1917 (it appears in a map on page 27, and also on the back cover, bu alas not in the text) , but that volume was already quite long since it included an extra section on Broodseinde 4th Oct.

A joint Zonnebeke 26th Sept, and Broodseinde 4th Oct volume would have been great. Or perhaps it could have appeared as a chapter in the Passchendaele volume. But this bloody and fiercely-fought action remains a strangely neglected island stuck between a number of volumes.

William

Always find it hard to get information on Martinpuich area, anything in pipe line for this??

Tony

3rd Division's attack on Zonnebeke village, Zonnebeke Station and "Hill 40" in 3rd Ypres on 26th September 1917 is an obvious gap in the Battlefield Europe series. It would have fitted nicely as a chapter in the Polygon Wood volume, as an action on the left of the Australians on 26th September 1917 (it appears in a map on page 27, and also on the back cover, bu alas not in the text) , but that volume was already quite long since it included an extra section on Broodseinde 4th Oct.

A joint Zonnebeke 26th Sept, and Broodseinde 4th Oct volume would have been great. Or perhaps it could have appeared as a chapter in the Passchendaele volume. But this bloody and fiercely-fought action remains a strangely neglected island stuck between a number of volumes.

William

The problem was/is that Polygon Wood was very busy in 1917: the Broodseinde Ridge area certainly deserves a book of its own (and a very interesting area it is too). There again, 1915 needs some more coverage, and not only Second Ypres; 1916 also, whilst Messines 1917 needs doing, Kemmel in 1918 (not to mention other parts of the area during the Lys Offensive in 1918), the break out from September 1918 - the list goes on! Meanwhile Jack Sheldon and I are co-writing a series of books 'Both Sides of the Wire' - no prize there for originality - in a similar format as a BE. To start with there will be three books on the Somme 1916 Prequel and the Opening of the Battle; July 14th to 14th September and 15th September to the close), looking at incidents that took place more or less at the same time (or in close proximity to each other) and seeing them from both the British/Dominion and the German point of view. In the Somme volumes we intend to bring the French more into play, as they tend to be rather poorly covered, so we shall be extending operations, as it were, south of the Somme, where there are many interesting things to be seen. Jack is also working on another book on how the Germans coped with the developing Somme offensive and adapted their operational methods, which promises to be very interesting indeed.

Always find it hard to get information on Martinpuich area, anything in pipe line for this??

Tony

Nothing in the pipe line, but I do agree that it and several areas over which the later phases of the Somme were fought are always in my mind as ones that need to be covered.

In the Somme volumes we intend to bring the French more into play, as they tend to be rather poorly covered, so we shall be extending operations, as it were, south of the Somme, where there are many interesting things to be seen.

Excellent news, Nigel. I was about to add my own suggestions to this thread of 'Frise', 'Fay/Dompierre', 'Estrees/Belloy', and 'Lihons' being of particular interest to myself (and covering more than just the 1916 period too). 'Peronne' (including Biaches and the Maisonnette) would, I'd think, be an interesting volume to appeal to all tastes/interests.

That said, I could probably fill a whole bookshelf with titles that I'd probably buy! (Any other French sector books in the pipeline (other than the next Verdun volume due this year)?

Dave

Forgot to mention that Steve Chambers is hard at work on two more Gallipoli BEs - one on Krithia and a 'Walking Gallipoli' volume, the latter covering different events from the whole of the campaign and the relevant parts of the peninsula. These will probably be out this year and early next, all being well.

Surely one covering the recent work at Massiges would be good.

How quickly can you write, Nigel? Looks like a lifetime of ideas there! ;0)

Bernard

These will probably be out this year and early next, all being well.

Very good! Pen & Sword - 'all being well'. Good one. MrsA ordered me 'Ypres 1914: Messines' (promised for Christmas 2014). It arrived just in time for Christmas 2015. Mind, it's not too bad...

Very good! Pen & Sword - 'all being well'. Good one. MrsA ordered me 'Ypres 1914: Messines' (promised for Christmas 2014). It arrived just in time for Christmas 2015. Mind, it's not too bad...

Ah, yes: hope you liked the Christmas Truce 'add on' to a tour - some thing that Jack dug up during his researches. The fault is all down to this part of the writing team - shifting house from Italy was a big upheaval and then getting all those bookcases fitted ... excuses, excuses. Well, at least it came at Christmas, even if it was not the anticipated Christmas (sorry, MrsA) and we hope that you enjoyed it. One of my favourite battlefields in terms of landscape and tranquility. Try the Burgoyne Diaries if you have not read it before: an unusual but, to me, a fascinating read written by an extraordinary man.