The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WO95 War Diaries

Cockney

I have just heard from NMP that they will be putting printed copies of the WO95 War diaries on their website in the next six weeks or so. These can already be found on Amazon by searching for WO95 if anyone is interested.

I know these can all be found online for nothing but it is convenient to have nicely printed copies when needed.

As you say, many of the diaries are now online through Ancestry. If you wanted a hard copy, wouldnt you just print it off, rather than cough up more dosh to Naval & Military?

You could indeed but these are very nice full colour reprints professionally bound.

You could indeed but these are very nice full colour reprints professionally bound.

Yes indeed. I can see that there would be a demand for such a book, rather than a PDF or Kindle download .

Would make a nice gift and library addition.

Sometimes it's so much easier to read it on paper.

Will N&MP tie their version to an out of date version of Adobe Acrobat, crop of the page numbering and dissallow copy and paste, like they have with other digital reprints? Makes very expensive product, near on f'in useless for academic use.

Cheers,

Hendo

Don't know about their digital offering. But you can't really go wrong with a printed book - they never go out of date and never need "upgrading"........ My post referred to the printed versions.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

That's good news, I got a download from the National Archives, 6th York and Lancasters. Nice to have it, but parts of it are unreadable on the scan. It will be good to have a printed copy.

They're derived from exactly the same master image set as the material on Discovery (and Ancestry), so if unreadable on a download, it may not be any better printed (though the printing is probably from a higher-resolution version of the image). Of course, after 100 years of handling, and not exactly written in the easiest of conditions to start with, some pages are simply difficult to read anyway.

Martin G of this parish is part way through a massive exercise in transcribing and digitising war diaries, see here https://www.greatwardiaries.co.uk/ 1914 and Gallipoli so far, so a long way to go, but kudos to him and his helpers.

I get a privacy warning when I click on the link to Martin G's site above, and don't seem able to override it.

Will the printed NMP book mentioned in the OP be based on transcriptions, so that someone else has done the hard work of deciphering difficult-to-read pages, albeit with the possibility of error? Or on images of the originals, as David Underdown seems to be saying?

Liz

Will the printed NMP book mentioned in the OP be based on transcriptions, so that someone else has done the hard work of deciphering difficult-to-read pages, albeit with the possibility of error? Or on images of the originals, as David Underdown seems to be saying?

Liz

I think images of the original diaries. Click

Mike

Is anyone thinking of integrating the results of the tagging work done by the NA/IWM crowd sourcing "Operation War Diary" into some sort of index for each book ?

I don't know about that specifically, but the intention is that it will be integrated into Discovery in some way ultimately.