The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Searching For GF's details - Ex RAF

clive_t

Morning everyone

Sorry if this is not the right area for this, but I'm not really sure which area it does belong to.

I read somewhere on the 1914-1918.net site that the medals awarded were usually inscribed with the person's name, rank, serial number and regiment.

Now I have found via my sister, who inherited our maternal grandfather's medals, that there is indeed an inscription around them. It reads:

108422. PTE.2. E.W.BADMAN. R.A.F.

I understand that the RAF was formed from the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service during WW1, but I can't find any more about my grandfather's career, e.g. was he in the RFC or the RNAS? There's no medal card reference on the National Archives site.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of references, websites etc that may shed further light on my grandfather's service?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Clive

Dear Clive,

the RAF Museum Website do a downloadable guide to RFC, RNAS and RAF personnel research in WWI (see www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/research/enquiries.cfm). He will certainly appear in the RAF Muster Roll, 1 April 1918, which is arranged by service number.

Good Luck

Simon Moody